Lebanese IT Student Accused Of Child Bride Marriage Case Handled By Sydney Court
By Christine Lazaro | February 24, 2014 11:12 PM EST
A Lebanese IT student was accused of child bride marriage after marrying a 13-year-old girl, the case now being handled by the Burwood Local Court in Sydney.
The 26-year-old IT student was in custody and facing charges that involved 25 counts of sex with a child, ABC reported.
According to the news reports, it was a Muslim cleric that married the two. The father of the girl was also set to face charges. The accused student only appeared through a video link from the Sydney jail he was being held.
His barrister applied for a bail to be heard on March 3. Issues related to a more suitable residence and the resolution of a criminal justice visa was raised.
How Did the IT Student Meet This Young Child Bride?
Based on several allegations, the IT student met the young girl as he was pursuing his studies in Newcastle. Their marriage got the attention of some authorities after he and the child suspectedly moved to a unit in Guildford, Sydney where they intend to live together.
Further details revealed the international student inquired about guardianship terms so as to enrol his alleged child bride in high school.
Father Of Child Shocked Of the Charges Against His Supposed Son-in-Law
According to child abuse detectives who handled the case, the father of the minor girl was shocked that the husband of his daughter has been charged with child sex offences, SMH wrote.
Police authorities also allegedly reported the Islamic ceremony may have happened right in the backyard of the girl's dad.
Several Muslim leaders have expressed how much they are against such marriages that even the Grand Mufti of Australia Ibrahim Abu Mohamed said the child bride case should be seriously dealt with like any other criminal charges.
"We, as Australian Muslim women, like the rest of Australia are deeply concerned for the welfare of the young girl," Maha Abdo said as the executive officer of the Muslim Women's Association.
Police authorities added the accused Lebanese IT student had been a resident of Australia with a student visa and still attending the university.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related