Amir Khan Angry Outbursts But No Done Deal Yet; Mayweather Might Announce Next Opponent on Birthday, Says Schaefer
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 24, 2014 9:54 PM EST
Amir Khan's angry outbursts on social media are pretty understandable. Everybody knows how Khan is so desperate to fight Floyd Mayweather. He has been talking about it for the longest time, and now that he has won the poll that the undefeated boxer launched supposedly to help him decide who between him and Marcos Maidana to fight on May 3, Mayweather's next opponent remains vague.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Khan is somewhat obscurely revealing Mayweather's next opponent on Twitter. On Feb 22, Khan wrote, "Good luck to Maidana, against Mayweather." Prior to posting this tweet, Khan wrote that he hasn't received any response from Mayweather or his team, so he concluded that his dream fight against the Grand Rapids native isn't going to happen on May 3.
"I should have taken the title fight last December against Alexander."
"Very disrespected by his team, wasted my time," Khan tweeted.
Mayweather is just really being elusive and secretive about the selection of his next opponent. While it is understandable for Khan to feel the frustration, it is equally unfathomable why he had to shout it out loud on social media. Khan could have taken his dilemma behind closed doors and perhaps deal with it with Mayweather or anyone from his team privately.
Khan's claim that Mayweather will fight Maidana isn't really a done deal. According to Mayweather's adviser Leonard Ellerbe, the 36-year-old five-division world champion has not really decided yet on who to fight among the two, Fight Hype reported.
"When Floyd Mayweather makes up his mind on who he's fighting which he hasn't yet, he will announce it to the world," said Ellerbe.
Mayweather's uncle Jeff revealed previously his nephew was really originally thinking of fighting Khan. However, all the undesirable disapprovals that he had heard about the 27-year-old British boxer had led him to initiate a poll. Furthermore, Mayweather reportedly wanted to fight someone who has a title, which Khan does not own right now.
Mayweather celebrates his 37th birthday on Feb 24. There may be no words about his next opponent yet, but it surely will not be long before it is revealed to the public. Who knows, maybe Mayweather will reveal it on his birthday? Golden Boy Promotions Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer thinks that Mayweather will make an announcement on his birthday and that people should watch his Twitter account closely to find out what Mayweather has to say about his next fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510