Amir Khan Angry Outbursts But No Done Deal Yet; Mayweather Might Announce Next Opponent on Birthday, Says Schaefer
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 24, 2014 9:54 PM EST
Amir Khan's angry outbursts on social media are pretty understandable. Everybody knows how Khan is so desperate to fight Floyd Mayweather. He has been talking about it for the longest time, and now that he has won the poll that the undefeated boxer launched supposedly to help him decide who between him and Marcos Maidana to fight on May 3, Mayweather's next opponent remains vague.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Khan is somewhat obscurely revealing Mayweather's next opponent on Twitter. On Feb 22, Khan wrote, "Good luck to Maidana, against Mayweather." Prior to posting this tweet, Khan wrote that he hasn't received any response from Mayweather or his team, so he concluded that his dream fight against the Grand Rapids native isn't going to happen on May 3.
"I should have taken the title fight last December against Alexander."
"Very disrespected by his team, wasted my time," Khan tweeted.
Mayweather is just really being elusive and secretive about the selection of his next opponent. While it is understandable for Khan to feel the frustration, it is equally unfathomable why he had to shout it out loud on social media. Khan could have taken his dilemma behind closed doors and perhaps deal with it with Mayweather or anyone from his team privately.
Khan's claim that Mayweather will fight Maidana isn't really a done deal. According to Mayweather's adviser Leonard Ellerbe, the 36-year-old five-division world champion has not really decided yet on who to fight among the two, Fight Hype reported.
"When Floyd Mayweather makes up his mind on who he's fighting which he hasn't yet, he will announce it to the world," said Ellerbe.
Mayweather's uncle Jeff revealed previously his nephew was really originally thinking of fighting Khan. However, all the undesirable disapprovals that he had heard about the 27-year-old British boxer had led him to initiate a poll. Furthermore, Mayweather reportedly wanted to fight someone who has a title, which Khan does not own right now.
Mayweather celebrates his 37th birthday on Feb 24. There may be no words about his next opponent yet, but it surely will not be long before it is revealed to the public. Who knows, maybe Mayweather will reveal it on his birthday? Golden Boy Promotions Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer thinks that Mayweather will make an announcement on his birthday and that people should watch his Twitter account closely to find out what Mayweather has to say about his next fight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2