Australia Torn Apart by Dale Steyn, South Africa Lodged 231-Run Victory in Second Test
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 9:49 PM EST
Australia's recent dream run at test matches was cut short by arguably the most dangerous fast bowler on the planet at the moment, Dale Steyn.
South Africa smashed Australia in a 231-run victory over the tourists. The devastating collapse in the Aussie team was caused by Steyn after tea. It was the fourth day in the second test between Australia and South Africa in Port Elizabeth on Feb 23. South Africa was all out for 423 in their first innings as JP Duminy and AB De Villiers scored a hundred each.
After getting Australia out for 246 in their first innings, the Proteas made 270 in their second innings and declared winner. Hashim Amla made an unbeaten century in the second innings for South Africa. Mitchell Johnson, who tortured South African batsmen in the series pretty well with his lethal bowling, could not do much this time as he managed to take only 2 wickets for 51.
However, the real annihilation came from Steyn who claimed 4 for 55 as it literally killed all the possibilities for the Aussies to get back into the game. Australia was bundled out for 216 as South Africa lodged a massive 231-run victory. Steyn tore apart the Australian middle order, while South African spin bowler Dean Elgar took the wicket of Nathan Lyon only 2 balls before the day of play came to an end. Steyn took three quick wickets of the Aussie Captain Michael Clarke for 1, Steve Smith for a duck and Brad Haddin for 1. There ended the hopes and ambitions of Australia.
Australia's task was never easy as it was asked to make a winning score which seemed almost insurmountable. Nevertheless, Aussie batsmen started well. It made a century partnership with its openers David Warner and Chris Rogers. They scored with élan, while Rogers eventually made a century and Warner ended up scoring a decent 66.
JP Duminy was declared the man of the match. Clarke said later on that Australia had been "outplayed" as South Africa did deserve to win.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch