Case of Killer Pig Virus Now Reported in Quebec, Canada
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 9:43 PM EST
The agricultural ministry of Quebec confirmed that it became another province in Canada on Sunday, Feb 23, to record the first case of porcine epidemic diarrhoea (PED).
In the United States, the lethal virus has already been responsible in killing millions of piglets; the Montreal Gazette reported. PED had first been found in China and then it arrived in Canada and the U.S. Similar cases of PED were already recorded in other Canadian provinces like Manitoba, Prince Edward Island and Ontario which became the first province to record a PED case in January 2014. However, this is the first time such a case has been recorded in Quebec.
The first PED case in Quebec was recorded in a Montérégie region south of Montreal farm. The farm has presently been under quarantine by the agricultural ministry. This is going to help stop the virus from being spread outside the farm. In addition to that, officials have emphasised that humans have no threat of being infected from PED as it is a unique virus that affect pigs only. The digestive system of pigs gets severely affected by such virus. On the other hand, there is no known remedy for PED at the moment.
The agricultural ministry is constantly vigilant as it has been keeping a strict eye on pork products in the province. They reportedly have a ready action plan which they are working on along with the pork industry partners from the province. Chief veterinarian Dr Michel Major said that authorities needed to remain vigilant and make sure that biosecurity measures are applied strictly by slaughterhouses, transporters, producers, visitors as well as goods and service providers.
The Canadian Swine Health Board earlier said that the disease had fewer possibilities to spread in Canada as there were tighter controls in the country after there had been an outbreak in the U.S. The farming practices have been more vigilant of late, it said.
Any pork producer that may think there is a PED case is advised to contact the veterinarian at the earliest. One can also call at 1-866-363-2433.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Doctor Denies Saying Aussie Radio Presenter Kyle Sandilands Only Has 6 Months to Live
- Online Porn Easy To Access: Research; Cameron Diaz Is A 'Porn Addict'
- Bride-To-Be Loses 57 Kilograms Before Wedding, Slimming World's Woman of the Year
- Seven Natural Ways to Fight Depression
- HIV Breakthrough: Tampon With An Anti-HIV Drug For Women
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015