Sochi Olympics 2014: Most Memorable Moments [PHOTOS]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 24, 2014 8:26 PM EST
Four rings and an asterisk:
The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, was far from perfect. Russia had spent over $50 billion to make this year’s Winter Olympics the most talked-about event in history, and it managed to do so when one of the five Olympic rings failed to light up during the ceremony.
Five snowflakes were supposed to morph into five giant rings and form the Olympic symbol. But, one failed to make the transition and remained in the form of an asterisk.
People who were watching the event on television did not notice the error, as the footage was replaced immediately with one taken during rehearsals.
Olympians adopting stray dogs:
At the beginning of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, much media coverage was given to the stray dog population in the country.
This resulted in a number of Olympians adopting stray dogs. U.S. Olympic freeskier Gus Kenworthy is one such person. Throughout his stay, he was active on his Twitter page posting pictures of him posing with cute puppies, and recently, he wrote: "For the people wondering, I've lined up kennels 4 the pups & made vaccination appointments. Doing all I can to bring them home w/ me!"
He is getting help from a Russian billionaire who has set up an animal shelter.
"I heard that they were just rounding them up and exterminating them. So I felt really bad, but I definitely wasn't planning on trying to come here and be some animal activist, or like, spokesperson for humanity, for the dogs, or anything," he told CNN. "This particular family just really kind of touched me, and I just think they're so cute and they need some help. So I'm just going to try to bring this family home."
Bode Miller lets it all out:
Bode Miller, who was interviewed after winning a bronze in the men's super-G alpine skiing race, ended up in tears when the interviewer questioned him about his brother. Chelone, who died last year at 29, had his own Olympic aspirations, and Miller doubled over and cried when asked about his late brother.
Olga Graf strips:
Russian speedskater Olga Graf came under much criticism after she nearly suffered a wardrobe malfunction after winning the bronze in the 3,000 meters. She was seen unzipping her suit to her belly button before realising she had nothing underneath.
Olympic rings at the closing ceremony:
Russia closed Sochi Winter Olympics by poking fun at the glitch that resulted in the one last snowflake failing to make its transition. Dancers at the closing ceremony re-enacted the failed opening ceremony, but this time the ring opened after a short pause.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying