Sochi Olympics 2014: Most Memorable Moments [PHOTOS]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 24, 2014 8:26 PM EST
Four rings and an asterisk:
The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, was far from perfect. Russia had spent over $50 billion to make this year’s Winter Olympics the most talked-about event in history, and it managed to do so when one of the five Olympic rings failed to light up during the ceremony.
Five snowflakes were supposed to morph into five giant rings and form the Olympic symbol. But, one failed to make the transition and remained in the form of an asterisk.
People who were watching the event on television did not notice the error, as the footage was replaced immediately with one taken during rehearsals.
Olympians adopting stray dogs:
At the beginning of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, much media coverage was given to the stray dog population in the country.
This resulted in a number of Olympians adopting stray dogs. U.S. Olympic freeskier Gus Kenworthy is one such person. Throughout his stay, he was active on his Twitter page posting pictures of him posing with cute puppies, and recently, he wrote: "For the people wondering, I've lined up kennels 4 the pups & made vaccination appointments. Doing all I can to bring them home w/ me!"
He is getting help from a Russian billionaire who has set up an animal shelter.
"I heard that they were just rounding them up and exterminating them. So I felt really bad, but I definitely wasn't planning on trying to come here and be some animal activist, or like, spokesperson for humanity, for the dogs, or anything," he told CNN. "This particular family just really kind of touched me, and I just think they're so cute and they need some help. So I'm just going to try to bring this family home."
Bode Miller lets it all out:
Bode Miller, who was interviewed after winning a bronze in the men's super-G alpine skiing race, ended up in tears when the interviewer questioned him about his brother. Chelone, who died last year at 29, had his own Olympic aspirations, and Miller doubled over and cried when asked about his late brother.
Olga Graf strips:
Russian speedskater Olga Graf came under much criticism after she nearly suffered a wardrobe malfunction after winning the bronze in the 3,000 meters. She was seen unzipping her suit to her belly button before realising she had nothing underneath.
Olympic rings at the closing ceremony:
Russia closed Sochi Winter Olympics by poking fun at the glitch that resulted in the one last snowflake failing to make its transition. Dancers at the closing ceremony re-enacted the failed opening ceremony, but this time the ring opened after a short pause.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists