Sochi Olympics 2014: Most Memorable Moments [PHOTOS]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 24, 2014 8:26 PM EST
Four rings and an asterisk:
The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, was far from perfect. Russia had spent over $50 billion to make this year’s Winter Olympics the most talked-about event in history, and it managed to do so when one of the five Olympic rings failed to light up during the ceremony.
Five snowflakes were supposed to morph into five giant rings and form the Olympic symbol. But, one failed to make the transition and remained in the form of an asterisk.
People who were watching the event on television did not notice the error, as the footage was replaced immediately with one taken during rehearsals.
Olympians adopting stray dogs:
At the beginning of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, much media coverage was given to the stray dog population in the country.
This resulted in a number of Olympians adopting stray dogs. U.S. Olympic freeskier Gus Kenworthy is one such person. Throughout his stay, he was active on his Twitter page posting pictures of him posing with cute puppies, and recently, he wrote: "For the people wondering, I've lined up kennels 4 the pups & made vaccination appointments. Doing all I can to bring them home w/ me!"
He is getting help from a Russian billionaire who has set up an animal shelter.
"I heard that they were just rounding them up and exterminating them. So I felt really bad, but I definitely wasn't planning on trying to come here and be some animal activist, or like, spokesperson for humanity, for the dogs, or anything," he told CNN. "This particular family just really kind of touched me, and I just think they're so cute and they need some help. So I'm just going to try to bring this family home."
Bode Miller lets it all out:
Bode Miller, who was interviewed after winning a bronze in the men's super-G alpine skiing race, ended up in tears when the interviewer questioned him about his brother. Chelone, who died last year at 29, had his own Olympic aspirations, and Miller doubled over and cried when asked about his late brother.
Olga Graf strips:
Russian speedskater Olga Graf came under much criticism after she nearly suffered a wardrobe malfunction after winning the bronze in the 3,000 meters. She was seen unzipping her suit to her belly button before realising she had nothing underneath.
Olympic rings at the closing ceremony:
Russia closed Sochi Winter Olympics by poking fun at the glitch that resulted in the one last snowflake failing to make its transition. Dancers at the closing ceremony re-enacted the failed opening ceremony, but this time the ring opened after a short pause.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga