‘Avatar’ Actor Sam Worthington Arrested for Allegedly Punching Photographer After Paparazzo Kicks ‘Wife’ Lara Bingle
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 24, 2014 7:25 PM EST
Actor Sam Worthington, best known for his role in the 2009 blockbuster "Avatar," was arrested Sunday night for allegedly punching a paparazzo.
New York City police said that the actor got into an altercation with a photographer now recognized as Sheng Li, who allegedly kicked Worthington's 26-year-old partner in the shins.
Sam Worthington (Wiki Commons)
According to CNN, the incident took place at 5:30 pm on Sunday, 23 February in Greenwhich village.
While the police have not named the female companion in question, the Daily Telegraph has reported that Sam Worthington yelled "You kicked my wife" during the scuffle and the woman companion was none other than his partner, Lara Bingle. The outlet also notes that the incident and his reported yelling, fuels speculation that the couple may have secretly tied the knot.
Televsion footage shows that Bingle herself was heavily involved in the drama that unfolded on Sunday evening.
The newspaper has said that police were called and Worthington was then cuffed and put into a paddy wagon. He was charged with assault and was issued a desk appearance ticket. The 37-year-old photographer, meanwhile, was charged with assault, harassment and reckless endangerment. Additionally, the photographer, who reportedly lives in Manhattan, does not have press credentials.
A twitter user also posted a message about how he had witnessed the scuffle.
Just saw Sam worthington and Sara bingle get in physical fight with paparazzi outside cubby hole... Cops just got here
— Harrison Jobe (@harrisonjobe) February 23, 2014
This is not the first time Worthington has been arrested after a scuffle. The Australian actor was arrested outside Atlanta restaurant, The Viortex, in November, 2012 after he arrived there drunk. When he was reportedly refused entry after the security said that he "looked homeless", Worthington allegedly responded with: "Im a DEA agent, you f***ed up now."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon