Centre Likely to Delay Appointment of New CM to AP
By Rama Mohan | February 24, 2014 6:53 PM EST
Appointment of a new chief minster to Andhra Pradesh is likely to be delayed as the 16th Lok Sabha elections are nearing. The current 15th Lok Sabha will complete its term on 31 May 2014.
Andhra Pradesh Caretaker Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy
N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who recently resigned as the CM, has been asked to continue as the state's caretaker Chief Minister, till a new CM is appointed. Reddy resigned as CM and quit the Congress party last week, protesting the Parliament's approval of the bill to bifurcate the state to form Telangana.
The bill is now waiting President's nod and the Centre is expected to issue a gazette notification for formation of Telangana state and the successor state of Andhra Pradesh within a couple of days.
Though the political situation in the state seems to be fluid, significant developments are taking place. The Congress high command in Delhi has summoned Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana and Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi on the morning of 24 February. The Centre is expected to discuss with them the appointment of a new AP CM, besides the formation of Telangana.
India's Election Commission has stated that if the Centre bifurcates the state within a month's time, elections for the Seemandhra and Telangana assemblies would take place simultaneously with the Lok Sabha polls. If the Centre delays the division, elections to the two new state assemblies will be delayed. The Indian government is yet announce the date for bifurcation of the united Andhra Pradesh state.
Anticipating election to Seemandhra assembly, Reddy is said to be planning to launch a new party and also met expelled MPs Lagadapati Rajagopal, Sabbam Hari, V. Arun Kumar, Sai Pratap, Harsha Kumar and R. Sambasiva Rao on Sunday, reported Deccan Chronicle. The MPs were expelled from the Congress for moving a no-confidence motion in the Lok Sabha against the UPA government.
The State ministers- S. Sailajanath, P. Satyanarayana and Parthasarthi were also said to be in consultation with Reddy, who is said to be wooing like-minded MLAs.
Meanwhile, the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) president K Chandrasekhara Rao, who has been in the forefront in the fight for Telangana state, met Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Sunday. Sonia Gandhi has asked KCR to be in touch with the party high command and he is currently stationed in Delhi. KCR had stated that once state is formed, TRS will be merged with Congress.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air