Canada Wins Olympic Gold in Ice Hockey, Smashes Sweden for 3-0
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Canada managed to defend its Olympic gold in hockey with a 3-0 victory over Sweden on Sunday. This means that they can now feel at ease as they are going enjoy the status of being the world champions for the next four years.
The competition between the two countries promised to be a tough one as it was the final. However, it did not turn out to be a close competition as Canada managed to defeat Sweden quite convincingly. They dominated the game from the very first second and continued to do so until the very end.
The Canadian defence proved to be the strongest weapon in their armour. It made all the difference even in the final match of the tournament. Sweden never managed to penetrate the Canadian defence to score even once against them. The Guardian called the Swedish team looking "tired and ineffective" as they could not defend the Canadian force to score three times in the entire match. It was obviously missing its forward Nicklas Backstrom on Sunday. Backstrom, according to reports, failed a dope test earlier.
However, The Guardian felt that Backstrom could have made no difference to Sweden's misery on the day Canada shone like the sun at noon. Sweden had their share of attack only in the first few moments of the game. One of their attempts did hit the post but that was all they could do against a ferocious Canada which was totally in control of the game.
Canada grew stronger and stronger as the game progressed. Jonathan Toews did not score any goal in the tournament for his team, but he became the first one to take Canada ahead in the game. Then it was Sidney Crosby who made it 2-0 in favour of Canada. Chris Kunitz sealed it for Canada with the third goal. Canada's "good" plan was "greatly" executed.
There was huge uproar on the social media, claiming that this was the best Canadian hockey team ever.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar