Canada Wins Olympic Gold in Ice Hockey, Smashes Sweden for 3-0
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Canada managed to defend its Olympic gold in hockey with a 3-0 victory over Sweden on Sunday. This means that they can now feel at ease as they are going enjoy the status of being the world champions for the next four years.
The competition between the two countries promised to be a tough one as it was the final. However, it did not turn out to be a close competition as Canada managed to defeat Sweden quite convincingly. They dominated the game from the very first second and continued to do so until the very end.
The Canadian defence proved to be the strongest weapon in their armour. It made all the difference even in the final match of the tournament. Sweden never managed to penetrate the Canadian defence to score even once against them. The Guardian called the Swedish team looking "tired and ineffective" as they could not defend the Canadian force to score three times in the entire match. It was obviously missing its forward Nicklas Backstrom on Sunday. Backstrom, according to reports, failed a dope test earlier.
However, The Guardian felt that Backstrom could have made no difference to Sweden's misery on the day Canada shone like the sun at noon. Sweden had their share of attack only in the first few moments of the game. One of their attempts did hit the post but that was all they could do against a ferocious Canada which was totally in control of the game.
Canada grew stronger and stronger as the game progressed. Jonathan Toews did not score any goal in the tournament for his team, but he became the first one to take Canada ahead in the game. Then it was Sidney Crosby who made it 2-0 in favour of Canada. Chris Kunitz sealed it for Canada with the third goal. Canada's "good" plan was "greatly" executed.
There was huge uproar on the social media, claiming that this was the best Canadian hockey team ever.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS