Canada Wins Olympic Gold in Ice Hockey, Smashes Sweden for 3-0
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Canada managed to defend its Olympic gold in hockey with a 3-0 victory over Sweden on Sunday. This means that they can now feel at ease as they are going enjoy the status of being the world champions for the next four years.
The competition between the two countries promised to be a tough one as it was the final. However, it did not turn out to be a close competition as Canada managed to defeat Sweden quite convincingly. They dominated the game from the very first second and continued to do so until the very end.
The Canadian defence proved to be the strongest weapon in their armour. It made all the difference even in the final match of the tournament. Sweden never managed to penetrate the Canadian defence to score even once against them. The Guardian called the Swedish team looking "tired and ineffective" as they could not defend the Canadian force to score three times in the entire match. It was obviously missing its forward Nicklas Backstrom on Sunday. Backstrom, according to reports, failed a dope test earlier.
However, The Guardian felt that Backstrom could have made no difference to Sweden's misery on the day Canada shone like the sun at noon. Sweden had their share of attack only in the first few moments of the game. One of their attempts did hit the post but that was all they could do against a ferocious Canada which was totally in control of the game.
Canada grew stronger and stronger as the game progressed. Jonathan Toews did not score any goal in the tournament for his team, but he became the first one to take Canada ahead in the game. Then it was Sidney Crosby who made it 2-0 in favour of Canada. Chris Kunitz sealed it for Canada with the third goal. Canada's "good" plan was "greatly" executed.
There was huge uproar on the social media, claiming that this was the best Canadian hockey team ever.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide