Canada Wins Olympic Gold in Ice Hockey, Smashes Sweden for 3-0
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Canada managed to defend its Olympic gold in hockey with a 3-0 victory over Sweden on Sunday. This means that they can now feel at ease as they are going enjoy the status of being the world champions for the next four years.
The competition between the two countries promised to be a tough one as it was the final. However, it did not turn out to be a close competition as Canada managed to defeat Sweden quite convincingly. They dominated the game from the very first second and continued to do so until the very end.
The Canadian defence proved to be the strongest weapon in their armour. It made all the difference even in the final match of the tournament. Sweden never managed to penetrate the Canadian defence to score even once against them. The Guardian called the Swedish team looking "tired and ineffective" as they could not defend the Canadian force to score three times in the entire match. It was obviously missing its forward Nicklas Backstrom on Sunday. Backstrom, according to reports, failed a dope test earlier.
However, The Guardian felt that Backstrom could have made no difference to Sweden's misery on the day Canada shone like the sun at noon. Sweden had their share of attack only in the first few moments of the game. One of their attempts did hit the post but that was all they could do against a ferocious Canada which was totally in control of the game.
Canada grew stronger and stronger as the game progressed. Jonathan Toews did not score any goal in the tournament for his team, but he became the first one to take Canada ahead in the game. Then it was Sidney Crosby who made it 2-0 in favour of Canada. Chris Kunitz sealed it for Canada with the third goal. Canada's "good" plan was "greatly" executed.
There was huge uproar on the social media, claiming that this was the best Canadian hockey team ever.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales