Canada Wins Olympic Gold in Ice Hockey, Smashes Sweden for 3-0
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 24, 2014 6:40 PM EST
Canada managed to defend its Olympic gold in hockey with a 3-0 victory over Sweden on Sunday. This means that they can now feel at ease as they are going enjoy the status of being the world champions for the next four years.
The competition between the two countries promised to be a tough one as it was the final. However, it did not turn out to be a close competition as Canada managed to defeat Sweden quite convincingly. They dominated the game from the very first second and continued to do so until the very end.
The Canadian defence proved to be the strongest weapon in their armour. It made all the difference even in the final match of the tournament. Sweden never managed to penetrate the Canadian defence to score even once against them. The Guardian called the Swedish team looking "tired and ineffective" as they could not defend the Canadian force to score three times in the entire match. It was obviously missing its forward Nicklas Backstrom on Sunday. Backstrom, according to reports, failed a dope test earlier.
However, The Guardian felt that Backstrom could have made no difference to Sweden's misery on the day Canada shone like the sun at noon. Sweden had their share of attack only in the first few moments of the game. One of their attempts did hit the post but that was all they could do against a ferocious Canada which was totally in control of the game.
Canada grew stronger and stronger as the game progressed. Jonathan Toews did not score any goal in the tournament for his team, but he became the first one to take Canada ahead in the game. Then it was Sidney Crosby who made it 2-0 in favour of Canada. Chris Kunitz sealed it for Canada with the third goal. Canada's "good" plan was "greatly" executed.
There was huge uproar on the social media, claiming that this was the best Canadian hockey team ever.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]