2014 Olympics Men's Hockey: Canadians Roar as Team Canada Upsets Sweden to Win the Gold
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 24, 2014 6:35 PM EST
It was short of a national mayhem as Canadians roared in jubilation after Team Canada finally upset Sweden to clinch the gold as leader of the 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey arena.
Dressed in the country's national colours red and white, Canadians assembled in several Toronto pubs, ordering and drinking beer as early as 6 a.m. ET to cheer and support the men's hockey athletes.
Four out of five Olympic rings are seen lit up during the opening ceremony of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics February 7, 2014. Picture taken February 7, 2014. REUTERS/David Gray
"This is our team, this is what we live, this is what we breathe, this is what we do - 4:30 in the morning is nothing to watch this," fan Mike Berks said.
Residents in Toronto may well be already feeling sleepy at this time, "but this is what Toronto is all about ... it's great," Mayor Rob Ford, Toronto mayor, told CBC News.
And as Team Canada finally nailed it, the people cheered, shouted and spilled out into the street, all singing O Canada in Maple Leaf Square.
"Everyone just loves this. You can tell everyone is just completely into this 100 per cent," Bret Coon told CBC News.
"We were riding around in a taxi and everyone's just screaming, the taxi drivers are all honking their horns and stuff. Like, [I] just love it," Mr Coon said.
The roar everytime Canada scored was deafening.
"Even if you're not into sports, everyone just comes together for this," Emma Baker said. Ms Baker was along with a companion and dozens of others when Rock Bottom bar opened its doors at 6:30 am. "It's for Canada, so everyone's proud."
Every Canadian wore over their backs the Canadian flag.
Every bar experienced thunderous fist-pumping, cheering, hugging and standing on tables. And even with hoarse voices, Canadians took to the streets to carry on the festive spirit of the win.
"This is what Canada's all about - it's hockey right? When people say how do you define Canada, I say, wait until there's a hockey game," Mr Ford said.
Video Source? YouTube/ zebracrunk2
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales