2014 Olympics Men's Hockey: Canadians Roar as Team Canada Upsets Sweden to Win the Gold
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 24, 2014 6:35 PM EST
It was short of a national mayhem as Canadians roared in jubilation after Team Canada finally upset Sweden to clinch the gold as leader of the 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey arena.
Dressed in the country's national colours red and white, Canadians assembled in several Toronto pubs, ordering and drinking beer as early as 6 a.m. ET to cheer and support the men's hockey athletes.
Four out of five Olympic rings are seen lit up during the opening ceremony of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics February 7, 2014. Picture taken February 7, 2014. REUTERS/David Gray
"This is our team, this is what we live, this is what we breathe, this is what we do - 4:30 in the morning is nothing to watch this," fan Mike Berks said.
Residents in Toronto may well be already feeling sleepy at this time, "but this is what Toronto is all about ... it's great," Mayor Rob Ford, Toronto mayor, told CBC News.
And as Team Canada finally nailed it, the people cheered, shouted and spilled out into the street, all singing O Canada in Maple Leaf Square.
"Everyone just loves this. You can tell everyone is just completely into this 100 per cent," Bret Coon told CBC News.
"We were riding around in a taxi and everyone's just screaming, the taxi drivers are all honking their horns and stuff. Like, [I] just love it," Mr Coon said.
The roar everytime Canada scored was deafening.
"Even if you're not into sports, everyone just comes together for this," Emma Baker said. Ms Baker was along with a companion and dozens of others when Rock Bottom bar opened its doors at 6:30 am. "It's for Canada, so everyone's proud."
Every Canadian wore over their backs the Canadian flag.
Every bar experienced thunderous fist-pumping, cheering, hugging and standing on tables. And even with hoarse voices, Canadians took to the streets to carry on the festive spirit of the win.
"This is what Canada's all about - it's hockey right? When people say how do you define Canada, I say, wait until there's a hockey game," Mr Ford said.
Video Source? YouTube/ zebracrunk2
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS