2014 Olympics Men's Hockey: Canadians Roar as Team Canada Upsets Sweden to Win the Gold
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 24, 2014 6:35 PM EST
It was short of a national mayhem as Canadians roared in jubilation after Team Canada finally upset Sweden to clinch the gold as leader of the 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey arena.
Dressed in the country's national colours red and white, Canadians assembled in several Toronto pubs, ordering and drinking beer as early as 6 a.m. ET to cheer and support the men's hockey athletes.
Four out of five Olympic rings are seen lit up during the opening ceremony of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics February 7, 2014. Picture taken February 7, 2014. REUTERS/David Gray
"This is our team, this is what we live, this is what we breathe, this is what we do - 4:30 in the morning is nothing to watch this," fan Mike Berks said.
Residents in Toronto may well be already feeling sleepy at this time, "but this is what Toronto is all about ... it's great," Mayor Rob Ford, Toronto mayor, told CBC News.
And as Team Canada finally nailed it, the people cheered, shouted and spilled out into the street, all singing O Canada in Maple Leaf Square.
"Everyone just loves this. You can tell everyone is just completely into this 100 per cent," Bret Coon told CBC News.
"We were riding around in a taxi and everyone's just screaming, the taxi drivers are all honking their horns and stuff. Like, [I] just love it," Mr Coon said.
The roar everytime Canada scored was deafening.
"Even if you're not into sports, everyone just comes together for this," Emma Baker said. Ms Baker was along with a companion and dozens of others when Rock Bottom bar opened its doors at 6:30 am. "It's for Canada, so everyone's proud."
Every Canadian wore over their backs the Canadian flag.
Every bar experienced thunderous fist-pumping, cheering, hugging and standing on tables. And even with hoarse voices, Canadians took to the streets to carry on the festive spirit of the win.
"This is what Canada's all about - it's hockey right? When people say how do you define Canada, I say, wait until there's a hockey game," Mr Ford said.
Video Source? YouTube/ zebracrunk2
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys