Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction Release Unlikely, Gearbox takes 3D Realms, Interceptor to Court
By Aditya Bhat | February 24, 2014 6:16 PM EST
Disappointment greets Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction fans, as they are highly unlikely to see a new Duke Nukem game. Gearbox Software has sued 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment for making use of its IP without any permission or consultation. Gearbox has accused them of alleged trademark violation, copyright infringement and contact breach.
Will Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction release?
Recently, it was revealed in a teaser website about the upcoming Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which promised of more news on the game on 25 February. However, this looks unlikely after the case against 3D Realms and Interceptor.
Gearbox had acquired the Duke Nukem IP from 3D Realms in February 2010 and it was part of the "bailout package," Polygon reported. Nevertheless, 3D Realms has the right to re-release its older franchise titles on Steam and iTunes Store.
"Recently - and without consulting the Duke IP's actual owner, Gearbox - Interceptor announced its intent to develop a Duke Nukem game based upon the various characters, content and intellectual property owned by Gearbox," said Gearbox in its complaint.
"Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened. The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."
3D Realms had in 2013, filed a lawsuit against Gearbox alleging them of not paying more than $2 million of royalties that they owed from Duke Nukem Forever. The lawsuit was later dropped and Scott Miller, owner and partner of 3D Realms had apologized for the lawsuit saying it was a "misunderstanding."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon