Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction Release Unlikely, Gearbox takes 3D Realms, Interceptor to Court
By Aditya Bhat | February 24, 2014 6:16 PM EST
Disappointment greets Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction fans, as they are highly unlikely to see a new Duke Nukem game. Gearbox Software has sued 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment for making use of its IP without any permission or consultation. Gearbox has accused them of alleged trademark violation, copyright infringement and contact breach.
Will Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction release?
Recently, it was revealed in a teaser website about the upcoming Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which promised of more news on the game on 25 February. However, this looks unlikely after the case against 3D Realms and Interceptor.
Gearbox had acquired the Duke Nukem IP from 3D Realms in February 2010 and it was part of the "bailout package," Polygon reported. Nevertheless, 3D Realms has the right to re-release its older franchise titles on Steam and iTunes Store.
"Recently - and without consulting the Duke IP's actual owner, Gearbox - Interceptor announced its intent to develop a Duke Nukem game based upon the various characters, content and intellectual property owned by Gearbox," said Gearbox in its complaint.
"Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened. The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."
3D Realms had in 2013, filed a lawsuit against Gearbox alleging them of not paying more than $2 million of royalties that they owed from Duke Nukem Forever. The lawsuit was later dropped and Scott Miller, owner and partner of 3D Realms had apologized for the lawsuit saying it was a "misunderstanding."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible---Report
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks