Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction Release Unlikely, Gearbox takes 3D Realms, Interceptor to Court
By Aditya Bhat | February 24, 2014 6:16 PM EST
Disappointment greets Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction fans, as they are highly unlikely to see a new Duke Nukem game. Gearbox Software has sued 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment for making use of its IP without any permission or consultation. Gearbox has accused them of alleged trademark violation, copyright infringement and contact breach.
Will Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction release?
Recently, it was revealed in a teaser website about the upcoming Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which promised of more news on the game on 25 February. However, this looks unlikely after the case against 3D Realms and Interceptor.
Gearbox had acquired the Duke Nukem IP from 3D Realms in February 2010 and it was part of the "bailout package," Polygon reported. Nevertheless, 3D Realms has the right to re-release its older franchise titles on Steam and iTunes Store.
"Recently - and without consulting the Duke IP's actual owner, Gearbox - Interceptor announced its intent to develop a Duke Nukem game based upon the various characters, content and intellectual property owned by Gearbox," said Gearbox in its complaint.
"Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened. The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."
3D Realms had in 2013, filed a lawsuit against Gearbox alleging them of not paying more than $2 million of royalties that they owed from Duke Nukem Forever. The lawsuit was later dropped and Scott Miller, owner and partner of 3D Realms had apologized for the lawsuit saying it was a "misunderstanding."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Guide: Continuous Breeding, Must See Places And TwitchPlays Pokemon Activity
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 New Update Brings Performance And Stability Improvements
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan