Vatican Milestone: 19 New Cardinals Installed Amid Past And Present Popes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 24, 2014 5:51 PM EST
Vatican has recently elevated 19 prelates to the rank of "Cardinal" in what turned out to be a historical milestone for the Roman Catholic Church.
The event was the first to be conducted by the reigning spiritual pontiff Pope Francis. It was also the first time that two popes were present to witness and give credence to the occasion.
Pope Francis greets nuns after visiting the Pediatric Dispensary of Santa Marta at the Vatican December 14, 2013. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano
The surprise appearance of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, who abdicated in February 2013 and thus the reason for Pope Francis' rise to the post after the March 2013 conclave, far much eclipsed the reason of the ceremony which were the 19 clergymen chosen from worldwide to become cardinals.
Apart from ensuring to spread the Good News, the new cardinals' first and foremost job description is to ensure the election of a new pope when the time comes. Sixteen of the 19 new appointees remain under 80, which is the age limit for participating in the election of future popes.
Entering discreetly from a side entrance of St Peter's Basilica, Benedict XVI entry was greeted with applause and tears from the stunned people in the pews. He took the seat in the front row, alongside the red-draped cardinals. He was observed to be genuinely happy being there.
Pope Francis acknowledged the presence of the former Pontiff by openly embracing him. In exchange, Benedict XVI removed his white skullcap as a sign of respect to the incumbent pope.
While Benedict had no formal role whatsoever in the ceremony, the newly minted Cardinals continued to bestow on him the honor and respect given to a pope. Each of the 19, after receiving his traditional biretta or red cap, and ring from Pope Francis at the altar went afterwards to Benedict XVI's seat to greet him.
Video Source: YouTube/ Reuters
"We are grateful for your presence here among us," newly elevated Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican secretary of state, told Benedict XVI.
Saturday's elevation was the first time the two popes appeared together at a public liturgical ceremony.
Meanwhile, Pope Francis reminded the newly minted 19 Cardinals that their position "does not signify a promotion, an honor nor a decoration: it is simply a service that demands a broader vision and a bigger heart."
"And, although it seems a paradox, this ability to look further and love more universally with greater intensity can be acquired only by following the way of the Lord: The way of lowliness and of humility, taking the form of a servant."
The cardinals came from diverse cultural and geographical locations around the world.
"The choice of cardinals of Burkina Faso and Haiti shows concern for people struck by poverty," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi earlier told Vatican Radio.
Meet the 19 new Cardinals:
- Archbishop Pietro Parolin (Italy)
- Archbishop Lorenzo Baldisseri (Italy)
- Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Muller (Germany)
- Archbishop, Beniamino Stella (Italy)
- Archbishop Vincent Nichols (Britain)
- Archbishop Leopoldo Jose Brenes Solorzano (Nicaragua)
- Archbishop Gerald Cyprien Lacroix (Canada)
- Archbishop Jean-Pierre Kutwa (Ivory Coast)
- Archbishop Orani Joao Tempesta (Brazil)
- Archbishop Gualtiero Bassetti (Italy)
- Archbishop Mario Aurelio Poli (Argentina)
- Archbishop Andrew Yeom Soo Jung (South Korea)
- Archbishop Ricardo Ezzati Andrello (Chile)
- Archbishop Philippe Nakellentuba Ouedraogo (Burkina Faso)
- Archbishop Orlando B. Quevedo (Philippines)
- Archbishop Chibly Langlois (Haiti)
- Monsignor Loris Francesco Capovilla (Italy) *
- Archbishop Fernando Sebastian Aguilar (Spain) *
- Monsignor Kelvin Edward Felix (St Lucia) *
(* Cardinal emeritus, without voting rights)
Video Source? YouTube/ romereports
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon