Maruti Suzuki Celerio Bookings Cross 14,000 In 2 Weeks; Likely to Get Extended Waiting Period
By greeshma m | February 24, 2014 5:48 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki's newly launched Celerio has reportedly received more than 14,000 bookings in two weeks.
The country's largest car maker Maruti is registering 1,000 bookings per day for its recently launched Celerio, out of which a greater part of the booking is for the automatic transmission (AT) model, reported the Financial Express. The increasing demand for the AT model of Celerio is likely to extend the waiting period of Celerio in the domestic market.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat. Reuters
"This is the first time we have launched AT in this segment. Who would have thought that we would straightaway get 51 per cent bookings for AT models. Now, there will be a waiting period as the automatic transmission parts are being imported. We will import it for the first year and localise it after a year," Maruti Suzuki Chairman RC Bhargava told FE.
Unveiled at the Auto Expo 2014 in Noida, Celerio is the first car in India to come with Automated Manual Transmission (AMT). Maruti, the celebrated name in the sub-continent market for small car offering seems to have won over the market with Celerio, through aggressive pricing. Unlike other automatic offerings in the country, the price variation between the Manual and Automatic variant of the Celerio is just around ₹1-1.2 lakh.
The Celerio, which was originally launched at a starting price of ₹3.90 lakh, is now available at ₹3.76 lakh. The company has revised the pricing of its recently launched hatchback Celerio in India, after the announcement of a reduction in excise duty by finance minister P Chidambaram.
The Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) equipped LXi and VXi variants will now on sale for ₹4.14 lakh and ₹4.43 lakh respectively, as against the ₹4.29 lakh and ₹4.59 lakh prices revealed earlier.
The Lxi variant of the car will house features like power steering, air conditioning and heater, while the Vxi offers power windows and manually adjustable ORVMs, in addition to the features offered in Lxi. Meanwhile, the top variant Zxi comes loaded with a slew of features like fog lamps, height-adjustable driver seat, anti-lock braking system, electrically adjustable ORVMs and ABS. The Celerio will be available in the market in seven paint jobs.
Under the hood, Celerio packs a 998cc, 3-cylinder, K10B engine, which can churn out a power of 67 bhp at 6,000 rpm and a torque of 9.1 kgm at 3,500 rpm. It is offered in six variants in the country - two with automatic transmission and four with manual transmission - and claims a fuel efficiency of 23.1 kilometers for both versions.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]