NTPC Falls to Five-year Low on Electricity Pricing Rules
February 24, 2014 5:11 PM EST
NTPC (NTPC.NS) shares slump as much as 11.2 percent, their lowest level since October 27, 2008, but Tata Power (TTPW.NS) and Adani Power (ADAN.NS) surge after the electricity regulator's ruling on pricing.
A man is silhouetted against the sun as he paints an electricity pole in Karachi
The Central Electricity Regulatory Commission on Sunday allowed Tata Power and Adani to raise tariffs, benefiting the two power producers.
But the impact for NTPC is seen as negative because the regulator has at the same time tightened incentives on capacity utilisation and tax treatments for the state-owned company, according to analysts.
At 10:20 a.m., NTPC shares down 11.1 percent at 117.70 rupees, while Tata Power and Adani Power up 4.3 percent and 0.6 percent at 82.15 rupees and 36.75 rupees, respectively.
Shares of Tata Power(TTPW.NS) surged 6 percent while Adani Power (ADAN.NS) rose 1.6 percent on Monday after the electricity regulator allowed these companies to raise tariffs and receive compensation to make up for losses incurred at their Mundra projects.
Tata Power can raise tariffs by 0.524 rupees per unit for the current fiscal year for electricity generated from Mundra, the regulator said in an order dated February 21.
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4