NTPC Falls to Five-year Low on Electricity Pricing Rules
February 24, 2014 5:11 PM EST
NTPC (NTPC.NS) shares slump as much as 11.2 percent, their lowest level since October 27, 2008, but Tata Power (TTPW.NS) and Adani Power (ADAN.NS) surge after the electricity regulator's ruling on pricing.
A man is silhouetted against the sun as he paints an electricity pole in Karachi
The Central Electricity Regulatory Commission on Sunday allowed Tata Power and Adani to raise tariffs, benefiting the two power producers.
But the impact for NTPC is seen as negative because the regulator has at the same time tightened incentives on capacity utilisation and tax treatments for the state-owned company, according to analysts.
At 10:20 a.m., NTPC shares down 11.1 percent at 117.70 rupees, while Tata Power and Adani Power up 4.3 percent and 0.6 percent at 82.15 rupees and 36.75 rupees, respectively.
Shares of Tata Power(TTPW.NS) surged 6 percent while Adani Power (ADAN.NS) rose 1.6 percent on Monday after the electricity regulator allowed these companies to raise tariffs and receive compensation to make up for losses incurred at their Mundra projects.
Tata Power can raise tariffs by 0.524 rupees per unit for the current fiscal year for electricity generated from Mundra, the regulator said in an order dated February 21.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales