Nadal Proves to be Master of Clay Again as Spaniard Takes Rio Open Title on Injury Return
By Shruthi SU | February 24, 2014 4:49 PM EST
The world no. 1 Rafael Nadal won the Rio Open title defeating Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov in straight sets 6-3, 7-6 (3). The win comes four weeks after losing to Stanislas Wawrinka in Australia thanks to a back injury.
In Rio, Nadal proved to be the master of clay again extending his record to 298 wins on the clay courts with only 21 losses. The champion player likes to look at the future rather than past debacles and hence declined to comment on his injury.
"Clearly, it was important for me to get back and win after what happened in the final in Australia," Nadal told reporters after the win.
Nadal chose the Rio Open for his comeback as he'll be looking forward to winning his second gold in the Olympics in 2016. "I leave with the sensation that Brazil is something special for me," the Spaniard said.
"In a 500 tournament, you don't have a chance to play a lot of these in the calendar. The first edition of a big tournament like Rio, it's a very important city in the world, and after coming back from injury, it always makes the victory a little more special."
Nadal said he was really put to the test in the semifinals against compatriot Pablo Andujar on Saturday. "Yesterday was a tough match," he added. "Pablo played a great match, playing very aggressive. I played too short yesterday and I gave him the chance to have control of the point from inside.
"I'm not very happy with the way I played yesterday, but I think today [Sunday] I was able to play with a little bit more calm, play a little bit longer and go a little bit more for the points. I played a more solid match today."
Doglopov had reached his first ATP tour final since October 2012, and he and his team were quite happy to have made it to the summit clash. "He was playing more solid than when I watched him play yesterday," Doglopov commented on Nadal's final performance.
"The stats were pretty impressive from him. As usual, he was spinning his forehand, making a lot of trouble to hit flat and couldn't really get used to his serve much - only at the end of the match. But I'm quite happy with the week."
In the women's section, the 62nd ranked Japanese player Kurumi Nara won her first WTA title defeating Czech Republic's Klara Zakopalova 6-1, 4-6, 6-1.
"I love Rio," said Nara, who will shoot up to the top 50 in world rankings after her win. "I can't believe I won the tournament, but I am very happy. I don't want to think too much about being No. 1 in Japan. I just want to focus on my game - every game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet