Nadal Proves to be Master of Clay Again as Spaniard Takes Rio Open Title on Injury Return
By Shruthi SU | February 24, 2014 4:49 PM EST
The world no. 1 Rafael Nadal won the Rio Open title defeating Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov in straight sets 6-3, 7-6 (3). The win comes four weeks after losing to Stanislas Wawrinka in Australia thanks to a back injury.
In Rio, Nadal proved to be the master of clay again extending his record to 298 wins on the clay courts with only 21 losses. The champion player likes to look at the future rather than past debacles and hence declined to comment on his injury.
"Clearly, it was important for me to get back and win after what happened in the final in Australia," Nadal told reporters after the win.
Nadal chose the Rio Open for his comeback as he'll be looking forward to winning his second gold in the Olympics in 2016. "I leave with the sensation that Brazil is something special for me," the Spaniard said.
"In a 500 tournament, you don't have a chance to play a lot of these in the calendar. The first edition of a big tournament like Rio, it's a very important city in the world, and after coming back from injury, it always makes the victory a little more special."
Nadal said he was really put to the test in the semifinals against compatriot Pablo Andujar on Saturday. "Yesterday was a tough match," he added. "Pablo played a great match, playing very aggressive. I played too short yesterday and I gave him the chance to have control of the point from inside.
"I'm not very happy with the way I played yesterday, but I think today [Sunday] I was able to play with a little bit more calm, play a little bit longer and go a little bit more for the points. I played a more solid match today."
Doglopov had reached his first ATP tour final since October 2012, and he and his team were quite happy to have made it to the summit clash. "He was playing more solid than when I watched him play yesterday," Doglopov commented on Nadal's final performance.
"The stats were pretty impressive from him. As usual, he was spinning his forehand, making a lot of trouble to hit flat and couldn't really get used to his serve much - only at the end of the match. But I'm quite happy with the week."
In the women's section, the 62nd ranked Japanese player Kurumi Nara won her first WTA title defeating Czech Republic's Klara Zakopalova 6-1, 4-6, 6-1.
"I love Rio," said Nara, who will shoot up to the top 50 in world rankings after her win. "I can't believe I won the tournament, but I am very happy. I don't want to think too much about being No. 1 in Japan. I just want to focus on my game - every game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored