Arsenal Transfer News: Arsene Wenger Confirms Deal is Done for Midfielder
By Deepak Vikraman | February 24, 2014 4:00 PM EST
Tomas Rosicky, in the 4-1 win over Sunderland on Saturday, was his usual, energy-filled, always moving forward, effective best. While the Czech Republic midfielder might not always find his name on the teamsheet, Arsene Wenger has little doubts about the importance that the playmaker holds in this Arsenal side, and therefore is "adamant" about keeping him at the Emirates next season.
Rosicky's current contract expires in the summer, with the midfielder linked with moves to Germany and his homeland, but Wenger is confident the 33-year-old, who has unfortunately seen a lot of his Arsenal career hampered by injuries, will extend his stay with the English Premier League club.
"Tomas Rosicky will stay," Wenger said. "We have an agreement with him and it will come out soon. I am absolutely adamant he has to stay at the club."
Rosicky scored the third of Arsenal's four goals in the victory over Sunderland, and the midfielder's strike was perhaps the pick of the lot, with one-touch passing and movement holding sway as the home side scored the goal the Arsenal way.
"When he arrived [in 2006 from Borussia Dortmund], he was less a tactical player and more the Mozart from Prague," Wenger added. "He was purely a creative, offensive player. But today, he is a real organiser as well. He gives a real structure to the team.
"He is one of the players who plays the game of give-and-move and he is a great accelerator of the game. He always makes things happen, not with individual dribbling but with individual acceleration of his passing and his runs. His goal was one of the top goals we have scored."
Rosicky has the ability to make things happen, a quality necessary in an Arsenal side that can be particularly passive at times. With the title run-in looking like being one of the most exciting and closest ones in recent memory, with four teams well within a shot, Rosicky's experience, fight and ridiculous talents could just turn out to be the difference-maker.
Wenger was also all praise for another one of the unheralded Arsenal midfielder, with Mikel Arteta showing just how good he is in the deep midfield role in the easy win over Sunderland.
"He is an extremely intelligent player, focused and committed," the Frenchman said. "These three qualities together make him an exceptional player and he understands everything that is going on on the pitch.
"I agree that sometimes his performances are not [highlighted], but we notice them."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans