Google Nexus 6 Release Date on June I/O Confab Confirmed as Google Taps LG to Build Nexus Smartwatch?
By Erik Pineda | February 24, 2014 3:21 PM EST
Will Google move the Nexus 6 release date earlier this 2014, likely in late June, as reports surfaced that a Nexus smartwatch is coming out via the annual I/O Developers Conference with LG as the chosen maker?
Nexus 6 concept image
LG of South Korea is of course the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 builder and according to The Wall Street Journal, Google has decided to partner anew with the device maker in putting together the first vanilla Android smartwatch that was development since October 2013.
Now CNET is reporting this week that the same device, likely to be called the Nexus smartwatch, is set for a June 24 debut, which is the same date that Google will gather hundreds of Android developers in San Francisco, California.
And the likelihood is, the Nexus 6 will also be introduced before the same I/O crowd - that is if the 2104 Google flagship smartphone is LG branded and like the first Samsung Galaxy Gear is designed to pair and work with a mobile phone.
The possibility of LG working on the Nexus 6 and the Nexus timepiece is not too remote. First off, there is an existing template for the pure Android - the LG G Pro 2, which many believe is one of the possible templates for the Nexus 5 successor.
Then as mentioned by The WSJ report, Google and LG have been working on the Nexus smartwatch since late last year, giving ample time for the Nexus tandem to see the light of the day more than three months from now.
In short, everything is falling into places for the grand Nexus 6 and Nexus smartwatch market entry, thanks to Google and LG.
The Nexus smartwatch, according to Business Insider, is designed to access most of the Google Now features without pulling its paired smartphone out of the pocket.
TechCrunch has hinted too that while the watch is optimised to work with a mobile device, its core features point to stand-alone usage - the wearable device will function independently from a tablet or smartphone, performing tasks like displaying high-resolution images.
Another report from The Verge suggested that Google will employ the combination of Nexus and Google Play Edition model for its Android smartwatch. "Other companies may also produce Google smartwatches ... that strategy would be similar to the one Google uses for its Nexus family of smartphones and tablets," the tech site added.
If these reports pan out, the combined Nexus 6 and Nexus smartwatch release dates would manifest with the devices going live via the Google Play Store on June 24. Actual availability or delivery date will be in the immediate days ahead or first week of July 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments