‘Lego Movie’ Beats ‘Pompeii’ at the Box Office Is the Family Movie Preferred Over the Action Flicks?
By Sachin Trivedi | February 24, 2014 2:50 PM EST
"Lego Movie" is still growing strong at the box office and "Pompeii" was not able to race the movie to the top spot. The total earnings of the movie has reportedly crossed $200 million worldwide and is expected to cross $300 million.
Cast member Elizabeth Banks attends the premiere of the film "The Lego Movie" in Los Angeles February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Phil McCarten
"Lego Movie" is a 3D animation movie. The protagonist of the movie is Emmet, an ordinary Lego tasked with the extraordinary responsibility of saving the universe from the evil Lego tyrant.
Fans of the "Lego Movie" appreciate the humour in the movie, which probably sets it apart from the other movies of action genre currently playing in the theatres. Fans see the movies as a perfect family entertainer.
The cast of the "Lego Movie" includes Will Arnett, as the voice of Batman, Elizabeth Banks as the voice of Wyldstyle, Anthony Daniels as the voice of C-3PO, Keith Ferguson as the voice of Han Solo, Will Ferrell as the voice of Lord Business, Will Forte as the voice of Abraham Lincoln, Morgan Freeman as the voice of Vitruvius, Todd Hansen as the voice of Gandalf and Jonah Hill as the voice of Green Lantern.
"Pompeii" is the story of a slave turned Gladiator who is in love with the daughter of a wealthy merchant. The merchant's daughter however is betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator. Meanwhile, the Mount Vesuvius erupts, threatening to destroy the whole city.
Has there been an overdose of action in "Pompeii" and has the volcano cast a shadow on the movie's story line? In many Hollywood movies with a bad plot, it has been the graphics which have come to the rescue at the box office, but it may not be so in this case.
The cast of "Pompeii" includes "Game of Thrones" actor Kit Harington as Milo, Carrie-Anne Moss as Aurelia, Emily Browning as Cassia, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Atticus, Jessica Lucas as Ariadne, Jared Harris as Severus, Joe Pingue as Graecus and Kiefer Sutherland as Corvus.
Some fans contend that one of the reasons why the "Lego Movie" is doing so well is that it is a family movie with universal appeal whereas "Pompeii" has a heavy focus on action and has to compete with other movies currently playing like "RoboCop" and the newly released "3 Days to Kill."
More Articles to Read
Will Winds of Winter be Released After 'Game of Thrones' Season 5? Advance Screening of Season 4 [Read]
'Hannibal' Season 2 New Posters Revealed Release Date in Feb [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists