‘Lego Movie’ Beats ‘Pompeii’ at the Box Office Is the Family Movie Preferred Over the Action Flicks?
By Sachin Trivedi | February 24, 2014 2:50 PM EST
"Lego Movie" is still growing strong at the box office and "Pompeii" was not able to race the movie to the top spot. The total earnings of the movie has reportedly crossed $200 million worldwide and is expected to cross $300 million.
Cast member Elizabeth Banks attends the premiere of the film "The Lego Movie" in Los Angeles February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Phil McCarten
"Lego Movie" is a 3D animation movie. The protagonist of the movie is Emmet, an ordinary Lego tasked with the extraordinary responsibility of saving the universe from the evil Lego tyrant.
Fans of the "Lego Movie" appreciate the humour in the movie, which probably sets it apart from the other movies of action genre currently playing in the theatres. Fans see the movies as a perfect family entertainer.
The cast of the "Lego Movie" includes Will Arnett, as the voice of Batman, Elizabeth Banks as the voice of Wyldstyle, Anthony Daniels as the voice of C-3PO, Keith Ferguson as the voice of Han Solo, Will Ferrell as the voice of Lord Business, Will Forte as the voice of Abraham Lincoln, Morgan Freeman as the voice of Vitruvius, Todd Hansen as the voice of Gandalf and Jonah Hill as the voice of Green Lantern.
"Pompeii" is the story of a slave turned Gladiator who is in love with the daughter of a wealthy merchant. The merchant's daughter however is betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator. Meanwhile, the Mount Vesuvius erupts, threatening to destroy the whole city.
Has there been an overdose of action in "Pompeii" and has the volcano cast a shadow on the movie's story line? In many Hollywood movies with a bad plot, it has been the graphics which have come to the rescue at the box office, but it may not be so in this case.
The cast of "Pompeii" includes "Game of Thrones" actor Kit Harington as Milo, Carrie-Anne Moss as Aurelia, Emily Browning as Cassia, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Atticus, Jessica Lucas as Ariadne, Jared Harris as Severus, Joe Pingue as Graecus and Kiefer Sutherland as Corvus.
Some fans contend that one of the reasons why the "Lego Movie" is doing so well is that it is a family movie with universal appeal whereas "Pompeii" has a heavy focus on action and has to compete with other movies currently playing like "RoboCop" and the newly released "3 Days to Kill."
More Articles to Read
Will Winds of Winter be Released After 'Game of Thrones' Season 5? Advance Screening of Season 4 [Read]
'Hannibal' Season 2 New Posters Revealed Release Date in Feb [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage