‘Lego Movie’ Beats ‘Pompeii’ at the Box Office Is the Family Movie Preferred Over the Action Flicks?
By Sachin Trivedi | February 24, 2014 2:50 PM EST
"Lego Movie" is still growing strong at the box office and "Pompeii" was not able to race the movie to the top spot. The total earnings of the movie has reportedly crossed $200 million worldwide and is expected to cross $300 million.
Cast member Elizabeth Banks attends the premiere of the film "The Lego Movie" in Los Angeles February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Phil McCarten
"Lego Movie" is a 3D animation movie. The protagonist of the movie is Emmet, an ordinary Lego tasked with the extraordinary responsibility of saving the universe from the evil Lego tyrant.
Fans of the "Lego Movie" appreciate the humour in the movie, which probably sets it apart from the other movies of action genre currently playing in the theatres. Fans see the movies as a perfect family entertainer.
The cast of the "Lego Movie" includes Will Arnett, as the voice of Batman, Elizabeth Banks as the voice of Wyldstyle, Anthony Daniels as the voice of C-3PO, Keith Ferguson as the voice of Han Solo, Will Ferrell as the voice of Lord Business, Will Forte as the voice of Abraham Lincoln, Morgan Freeman as the voice of Vitruvius, Todd Hansen as the voice of Gandalf and Jonah Hill as the voice of Green Lantern.
"Pompeii" is the story of a slave turned Gladiator who is in love with the daughter of a wealthy merchant. The merchant's daughter however is betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator. Meanwhile, the Mount Vesuvius erupts, threatening to destroy the whole city.
Has there been an overdose of action in "Pompeii" and has the volcano cast a shadow on the movie's story line? In many Hollywood movies with a bad plot, it has been the graphics which have come to the rescue at the box office, but it may not be so in this case.
The cast of "Pompeii" includes "Game of Thrones" actor Kit Harington as Milo, Carrie-Anne Moss as Aurelia, Emily Browning as Cassia, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Atticus, Jessica Lucas as Ariadne, Jared Harris as Severus, Joe Pingue as Graecus and Kiefer Sutherland as Corvus.
Some fans contend that one of the reasons why the "Lego Movie" is doing so well is that it is a family movie with universal appeal whereas "Pompeii" has a heavy focus on action and has to compete with other movies currently playing like "RoboCop" and the newly released "3 Days to Kill."
More Articles to Read
Will Winds of Winter be Released After 'Game of Thrones' Season 5? Advance Screening of Season 4 [Read]
'Hannibal' Season 2 New Posters Revealed Release Date in Feb [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family