Whatsapp Apologises to Users as the System Goes out of Service Due to Network Router Few Days after Facebook’s Takeover
By Tarun Mazumdar | February 24, 2014 12:44 PM EST
The Whatsapp team stated that the fault was caused by server issues. The biggest instant messaging app used by more than 450 million people showed a loading asterisk and "Connecting..." and the problem continued.
"Sorry we currently experiencing server issues. We hope to be back up and recovered shortly," tweeted Whatsapp's @wa-status at 8:16 p.m.
At 10:48 p.m. the account tweeted that the issue had been fixed.
"WhatsApp service has been restored. We are so sorry for the downtime..."
Users complained about problem with Whatsapp, and many joked that the team at Whatsapp had gone for a vacation after million dollar deal with Facebook.
Social media website Facebook declared on Thursday that it had a deal with Whatsapp, and it comprised $4 billion in cash and $12 billion of Facebook shares. Also, the deal gives Whatsapp an additional $3 billion in restricted stock units. The Whatsapp's founders and employees will be paid the restricted stock units in four years.
"Around 70 per cent of WhatsApp's monthly 450 million users use the application every day" said Facebook.
Mark Zuckerberg, founder and chief executive of Facebook, praised Whatsapp's overall reach across the globe.
"WhatsApp is on a path to connect one billion people. The services that reach that milestone are all incredibly valuable."
Co-founder and chief executive of Whatsapp, Jan Koum also talked about the deal with Whatsapp.
"WhatsApp's extremely high user engagement and rapid growth are driven by the simple, powerful and instantaneous messaging capabilities we provide," said Jan.
He also mentioned that they are "excited and honoured" to work with Mark and Facebook. The brand Whatsapp continues to work from Mountain View, California. Jan will be a part of the board of directors at Facebook.
The messaging product of Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger app will continue to function as different applications.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced