Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit to Launch Alongside Galaxy S5, Galaxy Gear 2 in the 'Unpacked 5' Event at the MWC 2014
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 24, 2014 10:59 AM EST
The MWC 2014 kicks off Monday, Feb 24, and Samsung will be one of the biggest stars in the event. The Korean tech giant scheduled an "Unpacked 5" event where it will unveil the next-generation smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S5 and second-generation Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
Furthermore, Samsung is also reported to launch a spinoff wearable device of the Galaxy Gear, which will be called the Galaxy Gear Fit. The Galaxy Gear Fit is a healthcare-oriented wearable device that will be competing with the Nike FuelBand, Jawbone and Fitbit. Rumours suggest that the Galaxy Gear Fit will be the best wearable device upon release.
The Galaxy Gear Fit will sport an integrated sensor, which will track steps, calories burned, other physical activities and monitor sleep. The device will tie with the S Health App, which is found on the current Samsung smartphones.
Samsung replaced the camera functionality in the Galaxy Gear Fit with additional sensors like a pedometer. The device will allow users to share their progress via social networks to make the experience extra "fun", according to recent reports.
If the rumours are accurate, Samsung will take a two-pronged method to the wearable market by focusing on having one device to compete in the fitness segment and another to compete with the growing smartwatch market.
Basically, the Korean tech giant is preparing to take on the market with two different devices rather than combining all the features in a single device. Compared to having a single device on launch date, having two different devices could mean a wider market for the wearable devices of Samsung.
At this point, all we can do is to wait and see how these rumours play out until Monday at the "Unpacked 5" event at Mobile World Congress 2014 Barcelona, Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan