Will Reported 70% Drop in Price of Windows 8.1 Licenses for Devices Costing Less Than $250 Help Increase Users of Unpopular OS? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 24, 2014 10:51 AM EST
Reports surfaced over the weekend that Microsoft will cut by 70 per cent the price of Window 8.1 licenses for devices costing less than $250. According to Bloomberg, with the reduction, the price of a Windows 8.1 OS would drop to $15 from $50.
There would be no restrictions on type or size of hardware that the lower-priced OS could be installed.
The move is seen as an attempt by Microsoft to entice more users of the unpopular OS and encourage manufacturers to make low-end Windows tablets as producers shift toward below $250 Chromebooks running of Google's free Chrome OS.
Since Windows 8 was released in October 2012, it has sold only 200 million licenses, while Windows 7, still utilised by many computer users globally, sold 240 million licenses within the first 12 months it was in the market.
Besides the relative unpopularity of Windows 8 perceived as difficult to use, another stumbling block is the $50 price tag, which the price reduction hopes to address.
In response to the price cut report, XDNet writer Mary Jo Foley scanned the Microsoft Store and found only one device costing less than $250, the ASUS X102BA-BH31T Touchscreen laptop, actually already discounted from $399 to $249. Amazon.com lists the 8-inch Dell Venue 8 Pro 32 GB tablet as having a price tag of $249, down from the original $299.
The heavy discount is also seen as Microsoft clearing its inventory of Windows 8 licenses amid speculations that the tech giant will overhaul its Windows SKUs by spring of 2015 and released Windows 9, the next major version of Windows codenamed Threshold.
ZDNet, which cited its sources, said Microsoft would likely come up with three primary Windows Threshold SKUs - a low-end modem consumer SKU for Windows Phones, ARM-based Windows tablets/PCs, phablets and similar devices and a traditional enterprise SKU for business users.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change