‘About a Boy’ Premiere Review: Will the Show Grow on You?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 24, 2014 12:32 AM EST
NBC’s “About a Boy,” based on the 2002 film of the same name, premiered on Saturday and garnered some good reviews from television critics, who were not expecting much to come out of a television show, based on a movie.
About a Boy
The comedy centers around Will, played by David Walton, a carefree bachelor, who befriends Marcus, the 11-year-old son of his next-door neighbour Fiona (Minnie Driver), to land a hot date. While the movie version sees Will setting up Fiona with a do-gooder, the pilot plot indicates that in the comedy, they might end up as a couple.
Talking about the show, Driver said that it was the “good writing” of the show that drew her to “About a Boy”.
“It was the pedigree of the people involved and how good the writing was. There’s some big shoes to fill... Nick Hornby, Working Title, the Weitz Brothers, Toni Collette, and yet, Jason Katims understands how the movie ends and how the television series begins and takes it on and expands on everything,” she told Glamour.
“It’s just brilliant, and he understands comedy and drama so well. Those are the movies that we love the best. It’s never just a straight comedy or a straight drama,” she added.
The first episode also focuses on Will’s strengthening bond with Marcus, played by Benjamin Stockham. Marcus is depicted as a weird but adorable kid, who is severely bullied in school. Will initially sees Marcus as a date-baiter but soon grows fond of the child and steps up to help him.
While the first episode was indeed promising, it is too soon to say if the show will draw audience.
USA Today noted that the show has the potential to become a hit if it works on strong performances and developing a sizzling chemistry between the lead characters. Focusing more on the strong bond between Will and Marcus, which a number of reviewers said was the charm of the show, will work wonders for the show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]