‘About a Boy’ Premiere Review: Will the Show Grow on You?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 24, 2014 12:32 AM EST
NBC’s “About a Boy,” based on the 2002 film of the same name, premiered on Saturday and garnered some good reviews from television critics, who were not expecting much to come out of a television show, based on a movie.
About a Boy
The comedy centers around Will, played by David Walton, a carefree bachelor, who befriends Marcus, the 11-year-old son of his next-door neighbour Fiona (Minnie Driver), to land a hot date. While the movie version sees Will setting up Fiona with a do-gooder, the pilot plot indicates that in the comedy, they might end up as a couple.
Talking about the show, Driver said that it was the “good writing” of the show that drew her to “About a Boy”.
“It was the pedigree of the people involved and how good the writing was. There’s some big shoes to fill... Nick Hornby, Working Title, the Weitz Brothers, Toni Collette, and yet, Jason Katims understands how the movie ends and how the television series begins and takes it on and expands on everything,” she told Glamour.
“It’s just brilliant, and he understands comedy and drama so well. Those are the movies that we love the best. It’s never just a straight comedy or a straight drama,” she added.
The first episode also focuses on Will’s strengthening bond with Marcus, played by Benjamin Stockham. Marcus is depicted as a weird but adorable kid, who is severely bullied in school. Will initially sees Marcus as a date-baiter but soon grows fond of the child and steps up to help him.
While the first episode was indeed promising, it is too soon to say if the show will draw audience.
USA Today noted that the show has the potential to become a hit if it works on strong performances and developing a sizzling chemistry between the lead characters. Focusing more on the strong bond between Will and Marcus, which a number of reviewers said was the charm of the show, will work wonders for the show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports