After Hungary and Mozambique, US Finally Gears up for Postage Stamp on Apple's Steve Jobs
By Johnlee Varghese | February 23, 2014 9:46 PM EST
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is expected to issue a collectible stamp in honor of Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs by 2015, four years after his death. However, countries such as Hungary and Mozambique have already issued Jobs stamps, while the US stamps are expected to be out only next year.
Hungary and Mozambique already have issued Steve Jobs stamps
Magyar Posta, the postal service of Hungary, had issued a numbered commemorative sheet, honoring the Apple co-founder in November 2011. Similarly, Mozambique had also issued a postage stamp in 2011, in honor of Jobs.
Now, according to a USPS office document gathered by the Washington Post, a stamp featuring the former Apple CEO finally finds a place on the approved subject of the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee, and is in its design-development phase.
Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix are other celebrities, whose stamps are expected to be released by 2015. Dora the Explorer, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, actor and five-term NRA president Charlton Heston, Beatles' John Lennon and Peanuts stamps are expected to be out this year.
Jobs, who died in 2011, would be the first person from the US technology sector to be honored on a postage stamp. However, Susan McGowan, the USPS's executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing, told the Washington Post that the stamp figures "are subject to change" at any time.
The USPS is also expected to reissue a stamp of Elvis Presley, an all-time top-seller, since it debuted in 1993. The financially strapped service is embarking on a new path to increase revenue and attract young collectors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More