After Hungary and Mozambique, US Finally Gears up for Postage Stamp on Apple's Steve Jobs
By Johnlee Varghese | February 23, 2014 9:46 PM EST
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is expected to issue a collectible stamp in honor of Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs by 2015, four years after his death. However, countries such as Hungary and Mozambique have already issued Jobs stamps, while the US stamps are expected to be out only next year.
Hungary and Mozambique already have issued Steve Jobs stamps
Magyar Posta, the postal service of Hungary, had issued a numbered commemorative sheet, honoring the Apple co-founder in November 2011. Similarly, Mozambique had also issued a postage stamp in 2011, in honor of Jobs.
Now, according to a USPS office document gathered by the Washington Post, a stamp featuring the former Apple CEO finally finds a place on the approved subject of the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee, and is in its design-development phase.
Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix are other celebrities, whose stamps are expected to be released by 2015. Dora the Explorer, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, actor and five-term NRA president Charlton Heston, Beatles' John Lennon and Peanuts stamps are expected to be out this year.
Jobs, who died in 2011, would be the first person from the US technology sector to be honored on a postage stamp. However, Susan McGowan, the USPS's executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing, told the Washington Post that the stamp figures "are subject to change" at any time.
The USPS is also expected to reissue a stamp of Elvis Presley, an all-time top-seller, since it debuted in 1993. The financially strapped service is embarking on a new path to increase revenue and attract young collectors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS