After Hungary and Mozambique, US Finally Gears up for Postage Stamp on Apple's Steve Jobs
By Johnlee Varghese | February 23, 2014 9:46 PM EST
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is expected to issue a collectible stamp in honor of Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs by 2015, four years after his death. However, countries such as Hungary and Mozambique have already issued Jobs stamps, while the US stamps are expected to be out only next year.
Hungary and Mozambique already have issued Steve Jobs stamps
Magyar Posta, the postal service of Hungary, had issued a numbered commemorative sheet, honoring the Apple co-founder in November 2011. Similarly, Mozambique had also issued a postage stamp in 2011, in honor of Jobs.
Now, according to a USPS office document gathered by the Washington Post, a stamp featuring the former Apple CEO finally finds a place on the approved subject of the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee, and is in its design-development phase.
Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix are other celebrities, whose stamps are expected to be released by 2015. Dora the Explorer, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, actor and five-term NRA president Charlton Heston, Beatles' John Lennon and Peanuts stamps are expected to be out this year.
Jobs, who died in 2011, would be the first person from the US technology sector to be honored on a postage stamp. However, Susan McGowan, the USPS's executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing, told the Washington Post that the stamp figures "are subject to change" at any time.
The USPS is also expected to reissue a stamp of Elvis Presley, an all-time top-seller, since it debuted in 1993. The financially strapped service is embarking on a new path to increase revenue and attract young collectors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate