After Hungary and Mozambique, US Finally Gears up for Postage Stamp on Apple's Steve Jobs
By Johnlee Varghese | February 23, 2014 9:46 PM EST
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is expected to issue a collectible stamp in honor of Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs by 2015, four years after his death. However, countries such as Hungary and Mozambique have already issued Jobs stamps, while the US stamps are expected to be out only next year.
Hungary and Mozambique already have issued Steve Jobs stamps
Magyar Posta, the postal service of Hungary, had issued a numbered commemorative sheet, honoring the Apple co-founder in November 2011. Similarly, Mozambique had also issued a postage stamp in 2011, in honor of Jobs.
Now, according to a USPS office document gathered by the Washington Post, a stamp featuring the former Apple CEO finally finds a place on the approved subject of the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee, and is in its design-development phase.
Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix are other celebrities, whose stamps are expected to be released by 2015. Dora the Explorer, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, actor and five-term NRA president Charlton Heston, Beatles' John Lennon and Peanuts stamps are expected to be out this year.
Jobs, who died in 2011, would be the first person from the US technology sector to be honored on a postage stamp. However, Susan McGowan, the USPS's executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing, told the Washington Post that the stamp figures "are subject to change" at any time.
The USPS is also expected to reissue a stamp of Elvis Presley, an all-time top-seller, since it debuted in 1993. The financially strapped service is embarking on a new path to increase revenue and attract young collectors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans