After Hungary and Mozambique, US Finally Gears up for Postage Stamp on Apple's Steve Jobs
By Johnlee Varghese | February 23, 2014 9:46 PM EST
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is expected to issue a collectible stamp in honor of Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs by 2015, four years after his death. However, countries such as Hungary and Mozambique have already issued Jobs stamps, while the US stamps are expected to be out only next year.
Hungary and Mozambique already have issued Steve Jobs stamps
Magyar Posta, the postal service of Hungary, had issued a numbered commemorative sheet, honoring the Apple co-founder in November 2011. Similarly, Mozambique had also issued a postage stamp in 2011, in honor of Jobs.
Now, according to a USPS office document gathered by the Washington Post, a stamp featuring the former Apple CEO finally finds a place on the approved subject of the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee, and is in its design-development phase.
Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix are other celebrities, whose stamps are expected to be released by 2015. Dora the Explorer, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, actor and five-term NRA president Charlton Heston, Beatles' John Lennon and Peanuts stamps are expected to be out this year.
Jobs, who died in 2011, would be the first person from the US technology sector to be honored on a postage stamp. However, Susan McGowan, the USPS's executive director for stamp services and corporate licensing, told the Washington Post that the stamp figures "are subject to change" at any time.
The USPS is also expected to reissue a stamp of Elvis Presley, an all-time top-seller, since it debuted in 1993. The financially strapped service is embarking on a new path to increase revenue and attract young collectors.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes