Telecom Regulator Recommends Higher Price for 800 MHz Spectrum
February 23, 2014 8:59 PM EST
The telecommunications regulator has recommended a 48 percent increase in the minimum bid price for airwaves in the 800 megahertz band in a planned auction.
Telecommunication towers are pictured through hanging flower pots at a residential building in Kolkata. Reuters
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) proposed on Saturday to set the auction reserve price at 26.85 billion rupees per MHz of spectrum in the 800 band, compared with 18.20 billion rupees set for a previous round of bids in March 2013.
The 800 MHz band is used by carriers, including Sistema's (SSAq.L) local unit, Reliance Communications Ltd (RLCM.NS), Tata Teleservices Ltd TATASL.UL and two state-run companies, to provide services on the Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) mobile phone technology.
But more carriers could be interested in the next auction as the airwaves can now be used to roll out high-speed 4G LTE services after government removed technology restrictions.
A ministerial panel has the final say on the reserve price. The government has yet to set a date for the 800 band auction.
India's auction of two other airwave bands this month raised $10 billion in total.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- West is 'losing sympathy' for Israel: Britain warns
- Canada Seeks Probe into Weapons Seized at UN Schools in Gaza
- US Data Asserts Russia Supplied SA-11 Surface To Air Battery to Ukraine Rebels
- Police Search Vancouver Marijuana Shop for Allegedly Illegally Selling to Neighbourhood Youth
- New Zealand to Bring Strict Law to Ensure Safety in Work Place
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide