Samsung Confirms Android 4.4 KitKat for Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 mini and Other Devices
By Precious Silva | February 23, 2014 12:58 PM EST
Samsung has always been mysterious about updating its line of devices. Despite the interest over the Android 4.4 KitKat roll out, the company has remained tightlipped about it. Fortunately, the company has confirmed before that it will finish the Android 4.4 KitKat roll out in the first quarter of 2014. This means users can expect the OTA on their devices until March. Recently, the Korean tech giant has also confirmed more devices in line to get the upgrade.
A Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (front) and Apple's iPhone 5 smartphones are seen in this picture illustration taken in Seoul May 13, 2013.
According to Android Authority, Samsung has announced Android 4.4 KitKa confirmation for its devices last February 18. According to a press release from the tech giant, the following devices will also be receiving the Android 4.4.2 roll out:
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note II
- Galaxy S4
- Galaxy S4 mini
- Galaxy S4 Active
- Galaxy S4 Zoom
- Galaxy S III
- Galaxy S III mini
- Galaxy Mega
- Galaxy Light
- Galaxy Note 8.0
- Galaxy Tab 3
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)
While the majority of the market expects newer Samsung devices to get the Android 4.4 KitKat, it does not hurt to have the company provide an official confirmation. However, users may have to check with their providers as well about the roll out of the updates. Some providers follow protocols or a set of procedures before they issue updates to their respective devices.
Some regions and users may have to deal with a later date despite assurance from Samsung. Users are also advised to check the OTA on their handsets. The notification should come soon depending on the region. As for those who cannot wait for the update, they can always opt for manual installation.
Manual installation requires rooting the device and using test firmware. Users should be careful about manual installation as there are no guarantees their devices may run just as smoothly compared to the OTA.
Samsung will also be announcing its Samsung Galaxy S5 device during its unpacked event on the 24th. According to reports, the device will be released alongside Samsung Galaxy Gear. People will have to stay tuned for more updates.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies