Samsung Galaxy S5 Appears To Dethrone Apple iPhone 5s On Launch Date at MWC 2014
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 23, 2014 12:49 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 appears to dethrone the mighty Apple iPhone 5s, which was released five months ago. The next flagship smartphone from Samsung will be launched on the "Unpacked 5" event at the MWC 2014 in Barcelona, Spain.
Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (L) and Apple's iPhone 5 are seen in this file picture illustration taken in Seoul on May 13, 2013. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is bracing for its weakest smartphone profit growth in 2014 since 2007 as arch rival Apple Inc challenges its domination in China's $80 billion market. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/Files
Now is Samsung's chance to impress its high-end fans with the top-of-the-line, Samsung Galaxy S5, which is reported to sport a brand new dustproof and waterproof design with bezel-free design.
Similar to the Apple iPhone 5s, the Samsung Galaxy S5 will feature a fingerprint scanner since Synaptics (SYNA) is reportedly supplying the fingerprint-sensor technology for the Samsung Galaxy S5. Furthermore, if the rumours are accurate, the next generation Galaxy smartphone will have an eye-scanning security technology, on top of a speedier 64-bit processor.
Other rumours say that Samsung will increase the display size of the Galaxy S5 to 5.2 inches from 5 inches with improved screen resolution. In contrast to the screen size, the Apple iPhones sport a 4 inches displays but the Cupertino tech giant is expected to have a bigger screen on its next generation smartphone, which could be the iPhone 6 this fall.
Thus far, pressure is building up on the Korean tech giant for the Samsung Galaxy S5 to be a hit in the market because the current flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S4 has had average sales. According to a report that Samsung made, its profits declined in two years mainly because of a slowdown in its mobile phone venture.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 will hit the shelves on mid-March at the earliest according to recent reports.
Meanwhile, one question that pops out at this point is whether or not Samsung will modify the current Android operating system of its devices. However, it must be noted that Samsung and Google recently had an agreement to work hand-on-hand to avoid fragmenting the Android ecosystem, according to a report.
Alongside the Samsung Galaxy S5, it is also possible that Samsung will launch the Galaxy Gear 2 smartwatch at the MWC 2014 event in Monday. The original Galaxy Gear was launched in September last year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899