Mahatma Gandhi's Grandson Joins Aam Aadmi Party
By Y Rama Mohan | February 22, 2014 6:17 PM EST
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), crusader of anti-corruption in India, has wooed Mahatma Gandhi's grandson Rajmohan Gandhi. By joining AAP, Rajmohan has shunned the Congress (Indian National Congress or INS), built by his grandfather.
Congress is now "only for some special people," Gandhi reasoned, for not opting to join the grand old party, which fought against the Britishers to attain independence for the country.
"But I could not feel that I could put my heart and soul at this fairly advanced age into anything other than the AAP. AAP has a single-minded focus on corruption and has risen from the grassroots. It is a people's party above all. Secondly, it is a party that is fearlessly opposing corruption. These to me are the most compelling reasons to join AAP," The Times of India quoted the 78-year old.
He further said that he has seen the performance of Congress and has been pained and disappointed by it. He added that he did not join BJP, as it is meant only for the rich.
"There is a disparity between the rich and poor and this also reflects in poor," India Today quoted him.
Rajmohan Gandhi's father was Devdas Gandhi, who was the Managing Editor of The Hindustan Times and maternal grandson of C Rajgopalachari, who was another great freedom fighter and the first Indian Governor General of independent India.
The newest member of AAP is a biographer and a research professor at the Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. He is also a Scholar at Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
Rajmohan had contested election against former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi from Amethi in Uttar Pradesh and is now said to be willing to stand for election against Narendra Modi, BJP's prime ministerial candidate.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen