Indian MPs Shed Tears on Last Day of 15th Lok Sabha; Members Behave like Angels
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 22, 2014 6:03 PM EST
The last session of the 15th Lok Sabha on Friday saw emotional moments unfolding, as MPs were seen behaving at their best ever. It was a moment that left everyone wondering that when there could be peace in parliament on the last day, why couldn't the same spirit be maintained in all sessions.
Television footages showed members including Congress President Sonia Gandhi and BJP leader L.K. Advani getting emotional, as members showered praises on each other.
The rare show of comradeship saw members leaving behind ideological differences, while hailing each other. Left leader Basudev Acharia called BJP patriarch, Advani, as the 'father of the House', one of many moments that saw the latter's eyes getting increasingly filled with tears.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj praised Congress chairperson Sonia Gandhi for her special role in resolving disputes arising in the House.
Swaraj's charming description of main leaders in the House drew smiles, a moment that left everyone watching television at home, dumbstruck.
She said the 'Shararat' (mischief) of Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath to create trouble in the House was efficiently dealt by the leader of the House Sushikumar Shinde with 'sharafat' (decency). In a flowery and poetic expression that seemed to spontaneously unfold, she praised Sonia's gracefulness and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's gentleness and Advani's Nyay priyata (judiciousness) in the House.
"We are going back with so many sweet and sour memories. When the history of this Lok Sabha will be written, it would be said that this was the session where most disruptions happened. And on the other page, it would be written it was also the same session where the most awaited Bills were passed. The Lokpal Bill, Telangana Bill, Food Security Bill, Land Acquisition Bill, Manual Scavenging Bill, Street Vendors Bill etc," she noted.
Even if the 15th Lok Sabha doesn't go down in history for the bills it has passed, its last day will certainly go into the memories of people for the rare bohemia and angels-like behavior members displayed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones