LeBron James Thanks Estranged Father, Gifts Mother Porsche on Birthday
By Keerthi Mohan | February 21, 2014 11:41 PM EST
LeBron James on Thursday posted an emotional message to his estranged father, thanking him for staying away from his life.
In the message, posted on Instagram, James said that because he grew up without his biological father, he was motivated to strive hard to succeed in his various ventures.
LeBron James's mother, Gloria, with her birthday gift.
“Because of you Pops! Thanks all along. Could have said why me with u not being there but look what I made of myself,” James wrote.
James’s father, Anthony McClellan, is an ex-conman, who has been convicted of theft and arson, among other crimes, according to an ESPN report.
James was brought up by his mother, Gloria, who was only 16 when she gave birth to James. During his childhood, money was scarce, as his mother found it difficult to hold on to jobs and James and his mother moved from one apartment to another.
Finally, he moved into the house of his coach Frankie Walker, who gave the young player a stable home.
“When I was 9 years old, my mother made a supreme sacrifice. She decided that while she was figuring out how to get on her feet, I needed some stability in my life. So she sent me to live with my pee-wee football team coach, “Big Frankie” Walker, and his family,” James wrote in Today.
Throughout his career, James has been vocal about how much his mother has sacrificed for his career, and on Thursday, he decided to thank her by gifting her a Porsche as her birthday present.
“Momma received her surprise b-day gift today. Enjoy and love you momma! Trying to figure out how to give u the world but in the mean time enjoy your new toy! #ProudSon #SheGoneStuntOnMeNow #StriveForGreatness,” James wrote on his Instagram account.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination