LeBron James Thanks Estranged Father, Gifts Mother Porsche on Birthday
By Keerthi Mohan | February 21, 2014 11:41 PM EST
LeBron James on Thursday posted an emotional message to his estranged father, thanking him for staying away from his life.
In the message, posted on Instagram, James said that because he grew up without his biological father, he was motivated to strive hard to succeed in his various ventures.
LeBron James's mother, Gloria, with her birthday gift.
“Because of you Pops! Thanks all along. Could have said why me with u not being there but look what I made of myself,” James wrote.
James’s father, Anthony McClellan, is an ex-conman, who has been convicted of theft and arson, among other crimes, according to an ESPN report.
James was brought up by his mother, Gloria, who was only 16 when she gave birth to James. During his childhood, money was scarce, as his mother found it difficult to hold on to jobs and James and his mother moved from one apartment to another.
Finally, he moved into the house of his coach Frankie Walker, who gave the young player a stable home.
“When I was 9 years old, my mother made a supreme sacrifice. She decided that while she was figuring out how to get on her feet, I needed some stability in my life. So she sent me to live with my pee-wee football team coach, “Big Frankie” Walker, and his family,” James wrote in Today.
Throughout his career, James has been vocal about how much his mother has sacrificed for his career, and on Thursday, he decided to thank her by gifting her a Porsche as her birthday present.
“Momma received her surprise b-day gift today. Enjoy and love you momma! Trying to figure out how to give u the world but in the mean time enjoy your new toy! #ProudSon #SheGoneStuntOnMeNow #StriveForGreatness,” James wrote on his Instagram account.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet