WhatsApp Turned Down Google’s Offer of More than $19B in Favor of Facebook?
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 21, 2014 10:45 PM EST
Google CEO Larry Page.
WhatsApp co-founders Koum and Brian Acton are said to have turned town Google's offer in favor of Facebook, even when the former offered to pay more than what Facebook did.
The Information has reported that Page met with Koum, a few days after Mark Zuckerberg had offered to purchase the rapidly growing messaging app, with the Facebook chief also offering Koum the chance to join his board of directors.
The news outlet claimed that the Google CEO urged Koum to stay independent, as WhatsApp was "a big threat to Facebook", adding that joining Facebook would have a major impact on "how things play out for years to come".
WhatsApp is speculated to have rejected Google's offer because Koum was not offered a seat on its board of directors, unlike Facebook.
A Google source, however, told the outlet that WhatsApp had misunderstood Page's intentions and that he was merely encouraging them to remain independent.
The $19 billion deal to sell WhatsApp to Facebook was confirmed Thursday, and it is one of the biggest in tech history. The sale makes WhatsApp's co-founders Koum and Brian Acton instant billionaires.
The monstrous amount is the largest sum paid to a startup as part of an acquisition, and is six times of what Google paid for Nest in January ($3.5 billion). The amount is also a whooping 19 times of what Facebook paid for Instagram two years ago ($1 Billion).
It is equivalent to almost four times Australia's current annual overseas aid budget, and only $4 billion dollars less than the US foreign aid in fiscal 2013.
WhatsApp has an active 450 million users per month, who send and receive over 50 billion messages per day. It employs about 50 people in Mountain View, California.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money