WhatsApp Turned Down Google’s Offer of More than $19B in Favor of Facebook?
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 21, 2014 10:45 PM EST
Google CEO Larry Page.
WhatsApp co-founders Koum and Brian Acton are said to have turned town Google's offer in favor of Facebook, even when the former offered to pay more than what Facebook did.
The Information has reported that Page met with Koum, a few days after Mark Zuckerberg had offered to purchase the rapidly growing messaging app, with the Facebook chief also offering Koum the chance to join his board of directors.
The news outlet claimed that the Google CEO urged Koum to stay independent, as WhatsApp was "a big threat to Facebook", adding that joining Facebook would have a major impact on "how things play out for years to come".
WhatsApp is speculated to have rejected Google's offer because Koum was not offered a seat on its board of directors, unlike Facebook.
A Google source, however, told the outlet that WhatsApp had misunderstood Page's intentions and that he was merely encouraging them to remain independent.
The $19 billion deal to sell WhatsApp to Facebook was confirmed Thursday, and it is one of the biggest in tech history. The sale makes WhatsApp's co-founders Koum and Brian Acton instant billionaires.
The monstrous amount is the largest sum paid to a startup as part of an acquisition, and is six times of what Google paid for Nest in January ($3.5 billion). The amount is also a whooping 19 times of what Facebook paid for Instagram two years ago ($1 Billion).
It is equivalent to almost four times Australia's current annual overseas aid budget, and only $4 billion dollars less than the US foreign aid in fiscal 2013.
WhatsApp has an active 450 million users per month, who send and receive over 50 billion messages per day. It employs about 50 people in Mountain View, California.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions