Hailey Owens Shocking Murder: 10-Year Old Girl Abducted & Murdered by Elementary School Teacher
By Sonalee singh | February 21, 2014 9:17 PM EST
Hailey Owens murder is one of the most poignant tales in the history of crimes. 10-year old Hailey was abducted and murdered by a 45-year-old old elementary school athletic coach, for no fault of hers.
On the bright sunny afternoon of Feb. 18 Hailey was walking home from school when Craig Wood pulled up his car in lieu of asking directions. According to eyewitness, Craig jumped out from his vehicle and forcefully dumped Hailey in his car.
According to reports by Hollywoodlife.com various witness have reported that they saw Craig pulling up his car next to Hailey, jumping out and dragging her in.
One of the female witness statement as reported by KSDK.com is, "Hailey tried to walk away from the vehicle, but Wood opened the door of his truck and said "Hey, come here for a minute," extending his hand to her, and motioning for him to come to him. "
The witness further said, "When the girl took a step closer to the truck, Wood grabbed her and "threw her into the truck 'like a rag doll."
Another witness Carlos Edwards revealed to local news reporter that he and his wife encountered the pick-up truck moving up and down in the block before finally coming to Hailey.
Reportedly, when the driver of the truck, Craig tried forcefully pushing Hailey in the truck, Carlos tried chasing the truck in wake of getting the license plate number. Soon after the incident took place, Carol's wife called 911.
Within three hours of abduction, the police authorities arrested Craig from his home but sadly by that time Hailey was already murdered. According to CNN reports, "During an immediate search of the home, police reported smelling bleach in the basement. Hailey's body was later found in a storage bin inside the home where she had suffered a gunshot to the head."
Craig is now charged with the crime of first-degree murder, armed criminal action, and child kidnapping. The accused worked in the Springfield Public Schools system in 1998 as a paraprofessional.
Incharge officer Superintendent Norm Ridder has stated to the media that Craig's employment would be "suspended until this matter is resolved."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date