Infant Faeces to Be Used to Make Sausages Healthier
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 21, 2014 9:07 PM EST
Next time you eat healthier sausage, you may have to thank baby poop for the "quality". Researchers claim that baby poop can be used to make sausages which are healthier.
A new research reveals that the bacteria in baby poor have the "qualities" to help give sausages a delicious taste. At the same time, those can make sausages even healthier. It works much like the way health food products such as probiotic yogurts are made.
LiveScience reported that using bacteria in making drinks and food is not something new. People have been using the technique for millennia, it said. Various cultures around the globe have different ways of using bacteria to make eatables and drinks. The dairy industry, the wine industry and the meat industry are heavily dependent on bacteria.
While it is impossible to form cheese without using starters that contain bacteria, milk products like yoghurt require fermentation which is done using bacteria. Yeasts are used for the process of fermentation that produces alcohol. On the other hand, fermented meat products like pepperoni, salami and chorizo are developed with lactic bacteria. Different types of bacteria help sausages develop the tangy flavour which they are most appreciated for.
Spanish scientists argued that probiotic bacteria which are found in most fermented food products could well be used for fermenting sausages. According to food microbiologist Anna Jofré, this will give an opportunity to consumers, who do not prefer dairy products, to consume probiotic foods without eating dairy products.
Probiotic bacteria, however, must survive the acids present in the human digestive tract in order to work. That is how researchers concentrated more on microbes which are found active in human faeces. Researchers focused on 43 faecal samples taken from healthy infants who were aged 6 months or less. The contributors consisted mostly of midwives who delivered "samples" taken off diapers.
According to the researchers, infant faeces contain enough microbes to produce healthy sausages. Professional tasters as well as scientists endorsed that the "poop" sausages were equally tasty even though they were much healthier.
Additional information from EFFCA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display