Mahindra XUV500 Automatic Variant to Debut in Mid-2015: Report
By greeshma m | February 21, 2014 8:50 PM EST
Mahindra and Mahindra is likely to launch the new automatic gearbox variant of its iconic sports utility vehicle XUV500 by mid-2015, claims a new report.
Mahindra, Ssangyong to Launch Jointly Developed Engine in 2015
"Yes, we are going to install a six-speed automatic, which is coming in January 2015 and Mahindra is also considering that same gearbox for the XUV500, so in terms of volume that is great for us and we can save some money," ACI quoted Y I Lee, President and CEO of Ssangyong Motor Company.
Mahindra's XUV500 recently crossed a milestone 75,000 units sales since its launch in 2011. Unveiled in September 2011, across five Indian cities, the cheetah-inspired XUV500 drew massive attention due to its stylish frame and state-of-the-art technologies, which include GPS navigation system, automatic climate controls, voice vommands and a sophisticated infotainment system, complete with 6-inch LCD touchscreen, DVD player, Bluesense technology, iPod connectivity, along with six speakers.
On the engine front, the XUV500 runs on a 2.2litre mHawk diesel engine, mated to a six-speed gearbox for transmission that provides 140bhp with 330Nm torque. It is available in three variants: the W6 ,W8, the recently launched W4.
Currently, Mahindra sells only its Scorpio with automatic transmission. At the recently concluded Delhi Auto Expo 2014, Mahindra had showcased the Quanto with an automated manual transmission, along with the hybrid XUV500 and Halo electric sportscar.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal