Galaxy S5 Confirmed to Get KitKat 4.4.2 on Release Date as Samsung Updates Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) to Latest Android Build?
By Erik Pineda | February 21, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Ahead of the Galaxy S5 release date, one exciting feature of the Android-based devices was reportedly confirmed by Samsung, thanks to the latest firmware update that has been deployed especially for the global Galaxy S4 edition.
Jermaine S via Concept Phones
Samsung Galaxy S5 Concept Image
Android OS KitKat 4.4.2, according to SamMobile, is now in Samsung's update channel and the release is specifically designed for the international version of the Galaxy S4 or the units bearing the model number GT-I9500.
SamMobile has stressed that the firmware jump is official as the patch to be absorbed by currently circulating GS4s has been reconfigured by Samsung engineers. It will be a phased distribution and it appears that first recipient would be Russian fans of the 2013 Sammy flagship.
But it was hinted at the same time that once the software hits a certain region, Galaxy S4 users, estimated at over 40 million around the world, will be able to readily chew in the Android-TouchWiz bump up.
Users can jump in two ways. One is by over the air or OTA, which should be automatic as soon as the major patch becomes available. Normally, users would be prompted by a dialogue box, advising that the latest KitKat is ready for action - that is download and installation.
But just to be sure, GS4 owners can manually check by following this route: Settings > About device > Software update, then tap the Update tab to trigger a server check.
Or fans can simply hook up their GS4 on a PC that has Samsung Kies software installed. Once the phone is connected to the computer, the update process will automatically commence and will require only approval from users to proceed.
Like in previous update procedures, gadget owners are reminded to subject the GS4 with full battery charge just so to avoid likely glitches and bricking the Galaxy S4 is one of them. Also, for faster completion, get the update via Wi-Fi connection.
Now, the more notable changes in the most recent KitKat version for the GS4, according to SamMobile, are the following:
- White status bar icons
- Significant performance boost
- Lock screen enhancements
- Easier touch typing
- Redesigned music player
And the likelihood is, these interface and function tweaks will serve as preview to what Samsung has in store for the Galaxy S5.
On the GS5 Unpacked set for February 24, the device is widely rumoured to show off the following - a 5.2-inch screen with 2K display resolution, a 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor or a True 8-core Exynos CPU, a 20MP main camera, a 2MP secondary camera, 3GB of RAM and a massive battery with 3000mAh rating.
However, the above specs are not written in stone unlike the KitKat 4.4.2, which for now is likely the sole confirmed killer feature coming out of the box with the Galaxy S5 on release date.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]