Controversy Mars Russia's Figure Skating Gold in Sochi Olympics 2014
By Shruthi SU | February 21, 2014 3:59 PM EST
The figure skating free program gold medal was taken home by Russia's own Adelina Sotnikova but with much controversy as the defending champion Yuna Kim from Korea stood second. Italy's Carolina Kostner made it to the podium with a bronze medal.
Judges were blamed to have favoured the emotion that ran through the arena. The home crowd cheered aloud as their countrywoman jumped and turned with much grace in the middle. Yuna Kim's performance also saw much cheer but understandably lacked the emotional charge Sotnikova's performance received. At the end, results were up and Sotnikova ended up winning.
"I really didn't believe my eyes, frankly speaking," said the 17-year-old Sotnikova.
Many competitors like Ashley Wagner of America raised their voice, calling it an unfair decision. The American stood sixth and seemed to be in an unbiased position for she had no chance of getting close to the podium in Sochi.
"I feel gypped," she said. "People don't want to watch a sport where you see people fall down and somehow score above someone who goes clean. It's confusing, and we need to make it clear for people.
"They need to get rid of the anonymous judging. There are many changes that need to come to this sport if we want a fan base, because you can't depend on this sport to always be there when you need it.
"The crowd was very supportive of the Russians, so to be a Russian figure skater must have been absolutely incredible to get out there ... period."
There was controversy in the 2002 Olympics regarding the judgement process and many changes have been made to accommodate objectivity in the sport. While fellow South Koreans were stunned to dismay about the judgement this time around, the performer in the limelight preferred to take a politically correct stance.
"The scores are given by the judges so I'm not in the right position to comment on it. There's nothing that will change with my words," Kim said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports