Manchester United Transfer News: Inter Milan Confirm Deal to Sign United Defender Almost Done
By Deepak Vikraman | February 21, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Manchester United skipper Nemanja Vidic is on the verge of joining Inter Milan in the summer, according to the Italian club's president Erick Thohir.
Vidic announced he would be leaving United at the end of the season when his contract with the English Premier League club expires, and the Serbian international seems to be heading to the Serie A.
Inter Milan were thought to be the favourites to land the experienced centre-back and Thohir confirmed a deal to bring Vidic to the San Siro next season is almost complete.
"I can say that the deal is done at 90 percent," Thohir told reporters on Thursday.
"When everything is sealed, we will make an announcement. Don't let me say something that is not concrete yet."
Vidic is among a few players expected to exit Old Trafford in the summer as David Moyes looks to build a new team capable of challenging for honours from next season.
Moyes and co. could come up against Vidic as early as preseason, with United announcing they would play Inter Milan and Roma in the International Champions Cup in the US.
"Manchester United has today announced that the team will play AS Roma and Inter Milan during the club's Tour 2014," the club said in a statement on their official website on Thursday.
"United will play AS Roma at Denver's Sports Authority Field on Saturday 26 July, before travelling to Washington DC to face Inter Milan at the FedEx Field on Tuesday 29 July."
One central defender expected to be at Old Trafford come next season is Jonny Evans, and the Northern Irishman revealed the importance of the players having a sound preseason.
"It's always great to get off to a good start," Evans told the club website. "Admittedly you can probably look too deep into analysing preseason games because at the end of the day they are for your fitness.
"However it's a good starting point for the manager to see where the team is going. I think it's more of a case of getting everyone together, but it's nice to win the games too.
"The US trips are really enjoyable. The lads aren't as well known over there [as other countries] so we can have our downtime and go out into the cities and have a walk around. The weather's usually nice and the facilities are fantastic so it's a great place to go."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft