Manchester United Transfer News: Inter Milan Confirm Deal to Sign United Defender Almost Done
By Deepak Vikraman | February 21, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Manchester United skipper Nemanja Vidic is on the verge of joining Inter Milan in the summer, according to the Italian club's president Erick Thohir.
Vidic announced he would be leaving United at the end of the season when his contract with the English Premier League club expires, and the Serbian international seems to be heading to the Serie A.
Inter Milan were thought to be the favourites to land the experienced centre-back and Thohir confirmed a deal to bring Vidic to the San Siro next season is almost complete.
"I can say that the deal is done at 90 percent," Thohir told reporters on Thursday.
"When everything is sealed, we will make an announcement. Don't let me say something that is not concrete yet."
Vidic is among a few players expected to exit Old Trafford in the summer as David Moyes looks to build a new team capable of challenging for honours from next season.
Moyes and co. could come up against Vidic as early as preseason, with United announcing they would play Inter Milan and Roma in the International Champions Cup in the US.
"Manchester United has today announced that the team will play AS Roma and Inter Milan during the club's Tour 2014," the club said in a statement on their official website on Thursday.
"United will play AS Roma at Denver's Sports Authority Field on Saturday 26 July, before travelling to Washington DC to face Inter Milan at the FedEx Field on Tuesday 29 July."
One central defender expected to be at Old Trafford come next season is Jonny Evans, and the Northern Irishman revealed the importance of the players having a sound preseason.
"It's always great to get off to a good start," Evans told the club website. "Admittedly you can probably look too deep into analysing preseason games because at the end of the day they are for your fitness.
"However it's a good starting point for the manager to see where the team is going. I think it's more of a case of getting everyone together, but it's nice to win the games too.
"The US trips are really enjoyable. The lads aren't as well known over there [as other countries] so we can have our downtime and go out into the cities and have a walk around. The weather's usually nice and the facilities are fantastic so it's a great place to go."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal