Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/21/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | February 21, 2014 3:13 PM EST
The Australian sharemarket is higher at lunch for the sixth consecutive trading day and for the 11th time in 12 sessions. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 0.6 per cent, with the miners the start performers. The last time the XAO improved from Monday through to Friday was 14 months ago. Largely positive economic news in the U.S. (relating to jobs and manufacturing) helped lift global markets overnight.
The miners are leading the gains, rising by 1.2 per cent. BHP Billiton (BHP) is trading at its best level in 2.5 years, up 1.3 per cent. The smaller and more iron ore focused Rio Tinto (RIO) is 0.76 per cent firmer and at a 12 month high. Iron ore miner Fortescue Metals (FMG) is 2.2 per cent higher and hovering around the $6/share mark (a level it has struggled to rise above over the past few years).
Casino operator, Crown (CWN) posted a 64.3% rise in net profit to $382.5m. This was a weaker than expected result, partly blamed on weak consumer confidence. CWN declared an 18 cent/share, 50% franked interim dividend which will be payable to eligible investors on 11th April. CWN shares are down 4 per cent.
IAG, the owner of NRMA issued a 39.3% jump in half year net profit to $642m, together with a 15 cent half year dividend. The result was helped by cost cuts and was better than expected. IAG shares are up 1.7 per cent.
Energy company, Santos (STO), reported a weaker than expected full year profit of $516m. The result was boosted by record crude oil sales and higher gas and oil prices. Net profit was negatively impacted by a rise in depreciation expenses and exploration costs. STO is the largest producer of natural gas to the Australian domestic market, supplying around 14% of our gas needs. STO shares are down 2.6 per cent.
No major economic data is scheduled for release in Australia today.
The Australian dollar briefly rose above US90c this morning; however is now at US89.8c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install