Coal Imports by Power Companies Surge - Scindia
February 21, 2014 3:11 PM EST
Coal imports by power producers surged 31 percent to 66 million tonnes in April-January compared with the same period a year earlier, the power minister said on Thursday, as coal-based generation rose but domestic coal shortage continued.
Coal India Q1 net falls for first time in 5 quarters
India's rush to add power capacity after years of under-investment has forced electricity generators including NTPC Ltd (NTPC.NS) to import coal heavily as state-run monopoly Coal India Ltd (COAL.NS) has struggled to meet demand.
In April-January power producers imported 31 million tonnes of coal to blend them with lower quality varieties and about 35 million tonnes for plants that depend exclusively on coal from overseas, Power Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia said.
India's coal-based power generation rose 8 percent to 587.64 billion kilowatt hour during the period from a year earlier. Power companies are likely to import 82 million tonnes this fiscal year ending March 31, he added.
This was the first government data released on coal imports so far this fiscal year.
Research firm OreTeam told Reuters last month that total coal imports by industries such as power, steel, cement and others rose 21 percent to 152 million tonnes in 2013 and that shipments could rise to 170 million tonnes this year.
Top suppliers Indonesia, Australia and South Africa are the biggest beneficiaries of India's growing demand for coal, with Coal India estimating that India's coal shortage would hit 350 million tonnes in 2016-17.
India is trying to push Coal India, which accounts for about 80 percent of the country's total production, to raise output after the firm recorded six straight years of below-target output due to difficulties in obtaining environmental approvals, lack of railway access and other issues.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28