Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) Android 4.4.2 KitKat update Starts Rolling Out [How to Download]
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 21, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Samsung started rolling out an OTA update for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. The firmware is currently released for Russia but it is expected to hit other parts of the globe soon.
Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (L) and Apple's iPhone 5 are seen in this file picture illustration taken in Seoul on May 13, 2013. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is bracing for its weakest smartphone profit growth in 2014 since 2007 as arch rival Apple Inc challenges its domination in China's $80 billion market. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/Files
iPhone 6 Price 'Significantly' Increases Due To Sapphire Glass Display Costs And Everything You Need To Know About the Sapphire Glass
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is a great addition to the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) users as the upgrade comes with a number of performance tweaks and feature updates.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update includes camera shortcut on lockscreen, performance improvements, white icons in status bar, select between the stock messaging app or Hangouts for SMS and MMS, improved keyboard layout in landscape orientation, chose between TouchWiz or other launchers, updated Google apps, wireless printing among others.
How to install the Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware
To install the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update in official way, you can either go for OTA from Settings > About Phone > Software Update >Update or download firmware through the Samsung Kies utility.
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:33:19 +0000
Product Code: SER
The firmware released is only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500), so it is best to stay away from this update if you are using other Android device. You can check your device model by going to Settings > About Phone.
At present, the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is being rolled out in phases, so you might not see it in your country as of the moment but expect it to arrive shortly. On the other hand, you must take note that carrier branded smartphones might take a while before they start rolling out the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update.
The new Android 4.4 KitKat firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) can be accessed through Sam Mobile's Firmware Portal. From there you can update your device manually if you cannot update via OTA or via Samsung Kies because your country might not receive the Android 4.4 KitKat update just yet or you might be using a Custom ROM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports