Sochi 2014: Eve Muirhead’s Curling Team Wins Third Medal for Great Britain
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 21, 2014 10:45 AM EST
The bronze medal curling match for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics wrapped up on Feb. 20 with Eve Muirhead's team winning over Switzerland securing Great Britain's third medal at the Olympics.
"The Olympic medal is the one we've been missing and to win it with three or four of my best friends is really special," Muirhead told The Guardian.
Muirhead was tearful after the match. She said that her team's victory was rightly earned. After losing the opportunity to win the gold medal when the Canadians beat them in the first round of the semifinals, Muirhead said that she couldn't be more pleased with her team.
"I am really proud of the girls."
"They came out and worked so hard, yesterday was a devastating blow to them."
The 23-year-old skip said that their victory was well deserved. Her team was able to turn things around and vigorously contested the Swiss athletes. She was so proud how her team showed true character and giving it all and playing a great game.
Anna Sloan, who plays third, had her mind focused on winning the medal. "There was no way we were leaving here without a medal," she said. "We wanted gold but it shows the spirit of our team to pick ourselves up and a bronze medal feels amazing right now," she added.
With Muirhead's team winning the bronze for the Great Britain's women curling team, it has equated the country's best ever medal haul at the Winter Olympics because its male counterpart is already guaranteed to win another medal for the Brits. David Murdoch and his team will face Canada on Feb 21 for the gold medal, at least the men of Great Britain's curling team are assured a silver in the finals. The Brits' best medal haul at the Winter Olympics took place in Chamonix in 1924, bringing home a total of four medals. Who knows, there could be more medals to come for British athletes.
Muirhead's team is reportedly the youngest rink to win an Olympic curling medal, with an average age of 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions