Sochi 2014: Eve Muirhead’s Curling Team Wins Third Medal for Great Britain
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 21, 2014 10:45 AM EST
The bronze medal curling match for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics wrapped up on Feb. 20 with Eve Muirhead's team winning over Switzerland securing Great Britain's third medal at the Olympics.
"The Olympic medal is the one we've been missing and to win it with three or four of my best friends is really special," Muirhead told The Guardian.
Muirhead was tearful after the match. She said that her team's victory was rightly earned. After losing the opportunity to win the gold medal when the Canadians beat them in the first round of the semifinals, Muirhead said that she couldn't be more pleased with her team.
"I am really proud of the girls."
"They came out and worked so hard, yesterday was a devastating blow to them."
The 23-year-old skip said that their victory was well deserved. Her team was able to turn things around and vigorously contested the Swiss athletes. She was so proud how her team showed true character and giving it all and playing a great game.
Anna Sloan, who plays third, had her mind focused on winning the medal. "There was no way we were leaving here without a medal," she said. "We wanted gold but it shows the spirit of our team to pick ourselves up and a bronze medal feels amazing right now," she added.
With Muirhead's team winning the bronze for the Great Britain's women curling team, it has equated the country's best ever medal haul at the Winter Olympics because its male counterpart is already guaranteed to win another medal for the Brits. David Murdoch and his team will face Canada on Feb 21 for the gold medal, at least the men of Great Britain's curling team are assured a silver in the finals. The Brits' best medal haul at the Winter Olympics took place in Chamonix in 1924, bringing home a total of four medals. Who knows, there could be more medals to come for British athletes.
Muirhead's team is reportedly the youngest rink to win an Olympic curling medal, with an average age of 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money