Sochi 2014: Eve Muirhead’s Curling Team Wins Third Medal for Great Britain
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 21, 2014 10:45 AM EST
The bronze medal curling match for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics wrapped up on Feb. 20 with Eve Muirhead's team winning over Switzerland securing Great Britain's third medal at the Olympics.
"The Olympic medal is the one we've been missing and to win it with three or four of my best friends is really special," Muirhead told The Guardian.
Muirhead was tearful after the match. She said that her team's victory was rightly earned. After losing the opportunity to win the gold medal when the Canadians beat them in the first round of the semifinals, Muirhead said that she couldn't be more pleased with her team.
"I am really proud of the girls."
"They came out and worked so hard, yesterday was a devastating blow to them."
The 23-year-old skip said that their victory was well deserved. Her team was able to turn things around and vigorously contested the Swiss athletes. She was so proud how her team showed true character and giving it all and playing a great game.
Anna Sloan, who plays third, had her mind focused on winning the medal. "There was no way we were leaving here without a medal," she said. "We wanted gold but it shows the spirit of our team to pick ourselves up and a bronze medal feels amazing right now," she added.
With Muirhead's team winning the bronze for the Great Britain's women curling team, it has equated the country's best ever medal haul at the Winter Olympics because its male counterpart is already guaranteed to win another medal for the Brits. David Murdoch and his team will face Canada on Feb 21 for the gold medal, at least the men of Great Britain's curling team are assured a silver in the finals. The Brits' best medal haul at the Winter Olympics took place in Chamonix in 1924, bringing home a total of four medals. Who knows, there could be more medals to come for British athletes.
Muirhead's team is reportedly the youngest rink to win an Olympic curling medal, with an average age of 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares