‘What Floyd Mayweather Did to Amir Khan is Absolutely Disgraceful,’ Says Bob Arum
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 21, 2014 10:40 AM EST
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum isn't happy with the way Floyd Mayweather is treating Amir Khan. He thinks that Mayweather has shunned and disgraced the British boxer after launching a poll for his next opponent and not announcing that he would be facing Khan in his upcoming May 3 fight.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
"What he has done to Amir Khan is absolutely disgraceful," Arum told Telegraph Sport. "Whether he ends up fighting him, or he doesn't," he added.
On Feb. 3, Mayweather started his poll and asked his fans to vote whether he should fight Khan or Marcos Maidana. Nearly 36,000 boxing fans participated in the poll and Khan ended up taking winning the poll after receiving the majority of the votes with 20,105 compared to Maidana's 15,474. Several days after the poll concluded, Mayweather still hasn't officially announced his next opponent.
"My feeling is he is not going to fight him, but it's disgraceful to do that to another human being because you are in a position to do that," said Arum.
"Just because he has the power where you can do something like that."
In 2013, Khan has declined to fight Devon Alexander for a supposedly potential clash in December because he was hoping to get a shot at fighting Mayweather, which as actually close to being a reality, until the undefeated boxer started the poll recently. Khan and his team has even let the cat out of the bag and revealed that he had already signed a contract to fight Mayweather and only waiting for the American boxer to sign his part of the contract.
However, things are starting to get muddier for Khan. With just a couple of months before Mayweather's scheduled fight, no official announcements have been made yet. All the delaying tactics that Mayweather and his team are doing right now are making the 27-year-old British-Pakistani boxer consider other options.
Speaking to Fight Hype, Khan said that regardless whether he gets to fight Mayweather or not, he will fight in May.
"I want to fight because I want to keep myself busy, you know," Khan said.
"We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight."
Arum has one advice to Khan and that is to forget about the entire Mayweather fight and get rid of Golden Boy Promotions.
"Cut your ties with these people, be a man," said Arum.
"You were the great hope of England at one point."
"Amir Khan has put himself in a position where he can be humiliated. He's like a laughing stock, terrible, absolutely terrible."
It is still aren't clear why Mayweather hasn't announced Khan as his next opponent. There could be a lot of reasons, maybe Mayweather and his team still working on the fighters to fight in the undercard or maybe they are contemplating and trying to gauge who between Khan and Maidana really deserves a chance to fight him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015