Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Says Khan Has a Chance Against Mayweather Because of Speed (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 21, 2014 9:54 AM EST
More boxers are expressing their belief that Floyd Mayweather is not the unbeatable pugilist that the pound-for-pound king claims to be.
The latest to share his opinion is eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao whose chance of a match with Money May appears dimmer amid reports that the Filipino congressman has renewed his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotion.
Boxing News 2014: Bradley Trainer Says Pacquiao Would Not Easily Beat His Ward in April Rematch (VIDEOS)
The southpaw legislator said on Thursday that his former stablemate, Amir Khan, stands a chance of defeating Mayweather because of the British boxer's speed.
But the chance of Khan winning over Mayweather is dependent on the quality of his training, Pacquiao told Boxing Scene, and also on the unbeaten boxer being confirmed by Money May over Marcos Maidana of Argentina who won in an online popularity poll to pick Mayweather's opponent on May 3.
Manny knows Khan quite well since the two were sparring partners under Freddie Roach, but Khan left in 2013.
Besides Pacquiao, who is scheduled for a rematch with Timothy Bradley on April 12, undefeated super middleweight champion Andre Ward also spoke highly of Khan whose speed he also noted.
"He has an awkward style, and he hits a lot harder than people think, at least from what I've seen," Boxing Scene quoted Ward.
"The awkwardness, the speed and the pop he has - I think he can give anybody trouble on any given night," Ward said.
However, there are boxers who have a different opinion such as lightweight champion Lydell Rhodes.
Mayweather had previously admitted avoiding Pacquiao as an opponent for fear of losing his undefeated status before he hangs up his boxing gloves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers