Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Says Khan Has a Chance Against Mayweather Because of Speed (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 21, 2014 9:54 AM EST
More boxers are expressing their belief that Floyd Mayweather is not the unbeatable pugilist that the pound-for-pound king claims to be.
The latest to share his opinion is eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao whose chance of a match with Money May appears dimmer amid reports that the Filipino congressman has renewed his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotion.
The southpaw legislator said on Thursday that his former stablemate, Amir Khan, stands a chance of defeating Mayweather because of the British boxer's speed.
But the chance of Khan winning over Mayweather is dependent on the quality of his training, Pacquiao told Boxing Scene, and also on the unbeaten boxer being confirmed by Money May over Marcos Maidana of Argentina who won in an online popularity poll to pick Mayweather's opponent on May 3.
Manny knows Khan quite well since the two were sparring partners under Freddie Roach, but Khan left in 2013.
Besides Pacquiao, who is scheduled for a rematch with Timothy Bradley on April 12, undefeated super middleweight champion Andre Ward also spoke highly of Khan whose speed he also noted.
"He has an awkward style, and he hits a lot harder than people think, at least from what I've seen," Boxing Scene quoted Ward.
"The awkwardness, the speed and the pop he has - I think he can give anybody trouble on any given night," Ward said.
However, there are boxers who have a different opinion such as lightweight champion Lydell Rhodes.
Mayweather had previously admitted avoiding Pacquiao as an opponent for fear of losing his undefeated status before he hangs up his boxing gloves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS