Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Says Khan Has a Chance Against Mayweather Because of Speed (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 21, 2014 9:54 AM EST
More boxers are expressing their belief that Floyd Mayweather is not the unbeatable pugilist that the pound-for-pound king claims to be.
The latest to share his opinion is eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao whose chance of a match with Money May appears dimmer amid reports that the Filipino congressman has renewed his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotion.
The southpaw legislator said on Thursday that his former stablemate, Amir Khan, stands a chance of defeating Mayweather because of the British boxer's speed.
But the chance of Khan winning over Mayweather is dependent on the quality of his training, Pacquiao told Boxing Scene, and also on the unbeaten boxer being confirmed by Money May over Marcos Maidana of Argentina who won in an online popularity poll to pick Mayweather's opponent on May 3.
Manny knows Khan quite well since the two were sparring partners under Freddie Roach, but Khan left in 2013.
Besides Pacquiao, who is scheduled for a rematch with Timothy Bradley on April 12, undefeated super middleweight champion Andre Ward also spoke highly of Khan whose speed he also noted.
"He has an awkward style, and he hits a lot harder than people think, at least from what I've seen," Boxing Scene quoted Ward.
"The awkwardness, the speed and the pop he has - I think he can give anybody trouble on any given night," Ward said.
However, there are boxers who have a different opinion such as lightweight champion Lydell Rhodes.
Mayweather had previously admitted avoiding Pacquiao as an opponent for fear of losing his undefeated status before he hangs up his boxing gloves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money