Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Says Khan Has a Chance Against Mayweather Because of Speed (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 21, 2014 9:54 AM EST
More boxers are expressing their belief that Floyd Mayweather is not the unbeatable pugilist that the pound-for-pound king claims to be.
The latest to share his opinion is eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao whose chance of a match with Money May appears dimmer amid reports that the Filipino congressman has renewed his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotion.
Amir Khan will not fight Devon Alexander on December 7. [Reuters]
The southpaw legislator said on Thursday that his former stablemate, Amir Khan, stands a chance of defeating Mayweather because of the British boxer's speed.
But the chance of Khan winning over Mayweather is dependent on the quality of his training, Pacquiao told Boxing Scene, and also on the unbeaten boxer being confirmed by Money May over Marcos Maidana of Argentina who won in an online popularity poll to pick Mayweather's opponent on May 3.
Manny knows Khan quite well since the two were sparring partners under Freddie Roach, but Khan left in 2013.
Besides Pacquiao, who is scheduled for a rematch with Timothy Bradley on April 12, undefeated super middleweight champion Andre Ward also spoke highly of Khan whose speed he also noted.
"He has an awkward style, and he hits a lot harder than people think, at least from what I've seen," Boxing Scene quoted Ward.
"The awkwardness, the speed and the pop he has - I think he can give anybody trouble on any given night," Ward said.
However, there are boxers who have a different opinion such as lightweight champion Lydell Rhodes.
Mayweather had previously admitted avoiding Pacquiao as an opponent for fear of losing his undefeated status before he hangs up his boxing gloves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown