MS Dhoni Ruled out of Asia Cup, Virat Kohli to Captain India
By Deepak Vikraman | February 21, 2014 3:15 AM EST
Virat Kohli's credentials to lead in a major tournament will be put to the test after skipper MS Dhoni was ruled out of the Asia Cup due to injury.
Dhoni, who led India to a disappointing tour of New Zealand, picked up a side strain during the drawn second Test against the Kiwis, and will take no part in the continental series, which also involves Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and first-timers Afghanistan.
India skipper MS Dhoni in action during the 4th ODI against New Zealand. BCCI
"MS Dhoni has been ruled out of the forthcoming Asia Cup, to be played in Bangladesh, in February-March 2014," BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said in a statement.
"He sustained a Grade I left side-strain injury during the course of the second Test against New Zealand. He will be undergoing rehabilitation for ten days."
Dhoni will be replaced behind the wickets by Dinesh Karthik, who recently made headlines during the IPL 7 auction, after being bought for the second highest amount, only behind Yuvraj Singh.
"The All-India Senior Selection Committee has picked Dinesh Karthik as his replacement in the Indian squad for the tournament," the statement added.
Kohli will lead in Dhoni's absence, and with calls for the India batsman to take over the reins permanently, it will be interesting to see just how he handles the pressure in such a high-profile tournament.
Following on the heels of the Asia Cup is the World T20, also to be held in Bangladesh, and India will be hopeful Dhoni's injury heals as expected so that the skipper can come into the World Cup rested and raring to go.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales