iPhone 6 Price 'Significantly' Increases Due To Sapphire Glass Display Costs And Everything You Need To Know About the Sapphire Glass
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 21, 2014 12:36 AM EST
A woman looks at the screen of her mobile phone in front of an Apple logo outside its store in downtown Shanghai September 10, 2013.
Despite Apple being mum about its next flagship smartphone, rumors about iPhone 6 price and release date have flooded the Internet for quite some time. Recently, new reports suggested the use of sapphire glass screen in iPhone 6 will significantly increase the production cost. The sapphire glass manufacturer gets a big share in the price boost.
According to reports, iPhone 6 will have a screen made from the scratch-resistant sapphire glass. The material, which is second to diamond in hardness, is almost unbreakable.
"The arrival of sapphire means a dramatic increase in the cost of making an iPhone, as sapphire is far more expensive than the present Gorilla Glass, but it remains unknown whether the price of a single iPhone will go up," South China Morning Post reported.
iPhone 5s, the predecessor of iPhone 6, also featured sapphire crystal in its iSight camera and in the Home button. In contrast, the iPhone 6 will have its entire front screen made by sapphire glass.
With the increase in iPhone 6 price, what can we really expect from the sapphire glass screen? Can we get what we are paying for? Here are the things that you need to know about the sapphire glass.
According to Cult of Mac, "Sapphire is around 67 per cent heavier than Gorilla Glass, with a density of 3.98 g/cm3 compared to the 2.54 g/cm3 used for Apple's existing iOS devices." Previously, sapphire has been used in most mid and high-level watches, barcode sensors and semiconductors because of its resistance to damage.
In a nutshell, sapphire is an incredibly transparent and much stronger than the Gorilla Glass material that will be a great addition to the iPhone 6, although it will dramatically increase its cost.
Currently, iPhone 5s is priced at $399 for 64 GB, $299 for 32 GB and $199 for 16 GB with two years contract. The price of iPhone 6 is expected to jump with the sapphire glass and some of its upgraded features.
On release date, iPhone 6 is rumored to sport a 4.7-inch or 5.5-inch display with 2272 x 1280 in 510 ppi or 1920 x 1080p in 440 ppi display, according to a note by South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. With the massive display, iPhone 6 is expected to have a 64-bit A8 chip, iOS 7.2 and 1800 mAh battery.
Apple is expected to release iPhone 6 either in June or September, which are the typical release dates of iPhones considering the pattern that Apple sticks in the past.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report