Ferrer, Robredo Advance to Rio Open Quarterfinals
By Shruthi SU | February 20, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Spain duo David Ferrer and Tommy Robredo, along with local boy Thomaz Bellucci have advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open.
Second seed Ferrer defeated Argentina's Federico Delbonis 7-6 (2), 6-1. The 31-year-old had to fight hard to win the first set but looked fairly comfortable in the second.
Ferrer will be joined by compatriot and fourth seed Robredo, who overwhelmed Serbia's Dusan Lajovic 6-2, 6-1. 11 of the 12 ATP titles Robredo has won have come on clay. He will be keen to move further in the tournament, and is now set to face fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar. Ferrer, on the other hand, will face Bellucci.
Local favourite Bellucci overcame Argentina's Juan Monaco 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and acknowledged the crowd, who helped him get through a weary start.
"I did not start well, I was tense and playing tactically wrong, and after two or three games I managed to get into the game and impose a better pace. (It) Was also important not to give up, battling the whole time. Playing at home makes you a more combative player, fan support makes it all easier. They supported me the whole time and it was very important," the 26-year-old pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia