Ferrer, Robredo Advance to Rio Open Quarterfinals
By Shruthi SU | February 20, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Spain duo David Ferrer and Tommy Robredo, along with local boy Thomaz Bellucci have advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open.
Second seed Ferrer defeated Argentina's Federico Delbonis 7-6 (2), 6-1. The 31-year-old had to fight hard to win the first set but looked fairly comfortable in the second.
Ferrer will be joined by compatriot and fourth seed Robredo, who overwhelmed Serbia's Dusan Lajovic 6-2, 6-1. 11 of the 12 ATP titles Robredo has won have come on clay. He will be keen to move further in the tournament, and is now set to face fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar. Ferrer, on the other hand, will face Bellucci.
Local favourite Bellucci overcame Argentina's Juan Monaco 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and acknowledged the crowd, who helped him get through a weary start.
"I did not start well, I was tense and playing tactically wrong, and after two or three games I managed to get into the game and impose a better pace. (It) Was also important not to give up, battling the whole time. Playing at home makes you a more combative player, fan support makes it all easier. They supported me the whole time and it was very important," the 26-year-old pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS