Ferrer, Robredo Advance to Rio Open Quarterfinals
By Shruthi SU | February 20, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Spain duo David Ferrer and Tommy Robredo, along with local boy Thomaz Bellucci have advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open.
Second seed Ferrer defeated Argentina's Federico Delbonis 7-6 (2), 6-1. The 31-year-old had to fight hard to win the first set but looked fairly comfortable in the second.
Ferrer will be joined by compatriot and fourth seed Robredo, who overwhelmed Serbia's Dusan Lajovic 6-2, 6-1. 11 of the 12 ATP titles Robredo has won have come on clay. He will be keen to move further in the tournament, and is now set to face fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar. Ferrer, on the other hand, will face Bellucci.
Local favourite Bellucci overcame Argentina's Juan Monaco 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and acknowledged the crowd, who helped him get through a weary start.
"I did not start well, I was tense and playing tactically wrong, and after two or three games I managed to get into the game and impose a better pace. (It) Was also important not to give up, battling the whole time. Playing at home makes you a more combative player, fan support makes it all easier. They supported me the whole time and it was very important," the 26-year-old pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June