Ferrer, Robredo Advance to Rio Open Quarterfinals
By Shruthi SU | February 20, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Spain duo David Ferrer and Tommy Robredo, along with local boy Thomaz Bellucci have advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open.
Second seed Ferrer defeated Argentina's Federico Delbonis 7-6 (2), 6-1. The 31-year-old had to fight hard to win the first set but looked fairly comfortable in the second.
Ferrer will be joined by compatriot and fourth seed Robredo, who overwhelmed Serbia's Dusan Lajovic 6-2, 6-1. 11 of the 12 ATP titles Robredo has won have come on clay. He will be keen to move further in the tournament, and is now set to face fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar. Ferrer, on the other hand, will face Bellucci.
Local favourite Bellucci overcame Argentina's Juan Monaco 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and acknowledged the crowd, who helped him get through a weary start.
"I did not start well, I was tense and playing tactically wrong, and after two or three games I managed to get into the game and impose a better pace. (It) Was also important not to give up, battling the whole time. Playing at home makes you a more combative player, fan support makes it all easier. They supported me the whole time and it was very important," the 26-year-old pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares