Ferrer, Robredo Advance to Rio Open Quarterfinals
By Shruthi SU | February 20, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Spain duo David Ferrer and Tommy Robredo, along with local boy Thomaz Bellucci have advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open.
Second seed Ferrer defeated Argentina's Federico Delbonis 7-6 (2), 6-1. The 31-year-old had to fight hard to win the first set but looked fairly comfortable in the second.
Ferrer will be joined by compatriot and fourth seed Robredo, who overwhelmed Serbia's Dusan Lajovic 6-2, 6-1. 11 of the 12 ATP titles Robredo has won have come on clay. He will be keen to move further in the tournament, and is now set to face fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar. Ferrer, on the other hand, will face Bellucci.
Local favourite Bellucci overcame Argentina's Juan Monaco 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and acknowledged the crowd, who helped him get through a weary start.
"I did not start well, I was tense and playing tactically wrong, and after two or three games I managed to get into the game and impose a better pace. (It) Was also important not to give up, battling the whole time. Playing at home makes you a more combative player, fan support makes it all easier. They supported me the whole time and it was very important," the 26-year-old pointed out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles