From 'Aaha Kalyanam' to 'Aashiqui 2 Remake': Upcoming South Remakes of Bollywood Films
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 20, 2014 8:12 PM EST
It is not just Bollywood that remakes South Indian films and even south film industries remake Hindi films that have been critically-acclaimed and commercially successful. In the past, several Bollywood films have been remade in south languages and turned out to be big hits.
Nani-Vaani Kapoor (Official Twitter Handle of Aaha Kalyanam)
The trend seems to be continuing even in the present, with a few remakes gearing up for release and a few others having been announced.
From "Aaha Kalyanam" to "Aashiqui 2", check out the list of Bollywood films getting remade in south film industries.
Aaha Kalyanam [Read: "Aaha Kalyanam" Review Roundup HERE]
Bollywood's blockbuster flick "Band Baaja Baaraat" has been officially remade in Tamil as "Aaha Kalyanam."
The Tamil version will have Nani ("Naan Ee" fame) and Vaani Kapoor ("Shuddh Desi Romance" fame) reprising Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma's roles.
"Aaha Kalyanam" is directed by Gokul Krishna and is produced by Aditya Chopra's Yash Raj Films. The popular Bollywood production house is making its venture into the Tamil film industry with the film.
The romantic entertainer is all set to hit the screens on 21 February and will have a simultaneous release in Telugu version. It will be shown in approximately 650 screens across India.
It remains to be seen if the Naani starrer will be able to re-create the magic of "Band Baaja Baaraat."
Nee Enge En Anbe (Anamika in Telugu)
Nayanthara's "Nee Enge En Anbe" is a remake of Hindi film "Kahaani" that starred Vidya Balan.
Nayanthara's film is a bilingual with the film having been made in Tamil and Telugu versions. The Telugu remake is titled "Ananmika", and both the versions are directed by Shekar Kammula.
Actors Vaibhav and Pasupathy appear in pivotal roles in the film, which is scheduled to release on 28 February.
Oh My God Remake
The critically-acclaimed Hindi film "Oh My God" is all set to be remade in Telugu. The project was announced recently and will have top Telugu stars Pawan Kalyan and Venkatesh in pivotal roles.
Pawan will reportedly play the role of Lord Krishna (played by Akshay Kumar in the original) in the remake, whereas Venkatesh will reprise Paresh Rawal's role.
Details about the film's director and other cast members are not yet known. Sarath Marar and Suresh Babu are jointly producing the film, which is yet to be titled. Currently, the film is in the pre-production stage and is all set to go on floors soon.
Aashiqui 2 remake
Bollywood actor-producer Sachiin Joshi is all set to make a comeback to the Telugu film industry with the remake of superhit Hindi film "Aashiqui 2."
"Aashiqui 2", the musical love story, had Aditya Roy Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor in lead roles. The Telugu version will have Sachiin Joshi reprising Aditya's role. However, details about other cast and crew members are yet to be revealed.
The untitled Telugu remake will be produced by Bandla Ganesh and Sachiin Joshi, who has acquired the remake rights of "Aashiqui 2" from T-Series head honcho Bhushan Kumar.
It is not yet known as to when the film will go on floors.
"Aal" is a Tamil remake of critically-acclaimed Hindi film "Aamir", which released in 2008.
Actor Vidarth of "Mynaa" and "Veeram" fame will be reprising the role played by Rajiv Khandelwal, whereas Harthika Shetty appears in female lead role.
"Aal" will be written and directed by Ananda Krishnan and produced by Vidiyal Raju. The film is expected to release in summer 2014.
Other than these films, there have been proposed remakes of a few Bollywood films including "Special 26" (starring Akshay Kumar), "Jolly LLB" (Arshad Warsi) and "Kai Po Che" (Sushant Singh Rajput). However, there is no official announcement on this regard.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date