Ellen Page on Human Rights Campaign: 'I’m here today because I am gay'
By Riza Ornos | February 20, 2014 7:50 PM EST
After telling the world that she is gay, Ellen page is back in Los Angeles dressed casually in a striped shirt, blue skinny jeans, brown boots and black jacket. The "Inception" actress announced her shocking news during the HRC's Time to Thrive conference in Las Vegas.
The 26-year-old star came out on Friday, Feb. 14, and she has been inundated with support for standing up for herself and for the rest of LGBTQ youth. Known for her activism, Page identifies herself as a pro-choice feminist and was "sick of lying by omission."
The actress hopes that her coming out would help other struggling with sexuality and encouraged other to live authentically. She said: "I'm here today because I am gay. And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."
According to Hollywood Reporter, the "Juno" actress also said: "It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us."
"Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me. You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard," she concluded.
The actress also cited other prominent personalities who are braved enough to come out including "Orange is the New Black" actress Laverne Cox and Football player Michael Sam. Page was reportedly linked to "True blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard when the two was spotted cuddling in a San Francisco park. She was also rumored to be dating "Into the Wild" actor Emile Hirsch.
After her announcement, Page was flooded with countless support for her brave move. Lance Bass Instgram his support and wrote: 'I just watched Ellen Page come out! Wow! What a speech! Congrats!!'
Emile Hirsh tweeted: "'Props to @EllenPage for helping so many people through their daily struggles by courageously leading by example and coming out on V Day!"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related