Ellen Page on Human Rights Campaign: 'I’m here today because I am gay'
By Riza Ornos | February 20, 2014 7:50 PM EST
After telling the world that she is gay, Ellen page is back in Los Angeles dressed casually in a striped shirt, blue skinny jeans, brown boots and black jacket. The "Inception" actress announced her shocking news during the HRC's Time to Thrive conference in Las Vegas.
The 26-year-old star came out on Friday, Feb. 14, and she has been inundated with support for standing up for herself and for the rest of LGBTQ youth. Known for her activism, Page identifies herself as a pro-choice feminist and was "sick of lying by omission."
The actress hopes that her coming out would help other struggling with sexuality and encouraged other to live authentically. She said: "I'm here today because I am gay. And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."
According to Hollywood Reporter, the "Juno" actress also said: "It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us."
"Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me. You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard," she concluded.
The actress also cited other prominent personalities who are braved enough to come out including "Orange is the New Black" actress Laverne Cox and Football player Michael Sam. Page was reportedly linked to "True blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard when the two was spotted cuddling in a San Francisco park. She was also rumored to be dating "Into the Wild" actor Emile Hirsch.
After her announcement, Page was flooded with countless support for her brave move. Lance Bass Instgram his support and wrote: 'I just watched Ellen Page come out! Wow! What a speech! Congrats!!'
Emile Hirsh tweeted: "'Props to @EllenPage for helping so many people through their daily struggles by courageously leading by example and coming out on V Day!"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier