Ellen Page on Human Rights Campaign: 'I’m here today because I am gay'
By Riza Ornos | February 20, 2014 7:50 PM EST
After telling the world that she is gay, Ellen page is back in Los Angeles dressed casually in a striped shirt, blue skinny jeans, brown boots and black jacket. The "Inception" actress announced her shocking news during the HRC's Time to Thrive conference in Las Vegas.
The 26-year-old star came out on Friday, Feb. 14, and she has been inundated with support for standing up for herself and for the rest of LGBTQ youth. Known for her activism, Page identifies herself as a pro-choice feminist and was "sick of lying by omission."
The actress hopes that her coming out would help other struggling with sexuality and encouraged other to live authentically. She said: "I'm here today because I am gay. And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."
According to Hollywood Reporter, the "Juno" actress also said: "It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us."
"Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me. You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard," she concluded.
The actress also cited other prominent personalities who are braved enough to come out including "Orange is the New Black" actress Laverne Cox and Football player Michael Sam. Page was reportedly linked to "True blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard when the two was spotted cuddling in a San Francisco park. She was also rumored to be dating "Into the Wild" actor Emile Hirsch.
After her announcement, Page was flooded with countless support for her brave move. Lance Bass Instgram his support and wrote: 'I just watched Ellen Page come out! Wow! What a speech! Congrats!!'
Emile Hirsh tweeted: "'Props to @EllenPage for helping so many people through their daily struggles by courageously leading by example and coming out on V Day!"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery