Ellen Page on Human Rights Campaign: 'I’m here today because I am gay'
By Riza Ornos | February 20, 2014 7:50 PM EST
After telling the world that she is gay, Ellen page is back in Los Angeles dressed casually in a striped shirt, blue skinny jeans, brown boots and black jacket. The "Inception" actress announced her shocking news during the HRC's Time to Thrive conference in Las Vegas.
The 26-year-old star came out on Friday, Feb. 14, and she has been inundated with support for standing up for herself and for the rest of LGBTQ youth. Known for her activism, Page identifies herself as a pro-choice feminist and was "sick of lying by omission."
The actress hopes that her coming out would help other struggling with sexuality and encouraged other to live authentically. She said: "I'm here today because I am gay. And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."
According to Hollywood Reporter, the "Juno" actress also said: "It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us."
"Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me. You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard," she concluded.
The actress also cited other prominent personalities who are braved enough to come out including "Orange is the New Black" actress Laverne Cox and Football player Michael Sam. Page was reportedly linked to "True blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard when the two was spotted cuddling in a San Francisco park. She was also rumored to be dating "Into the Wild" actor Emile Hirsch.
After her announcement, Page was flooded with countless support for her brave move. Lance Bass Instgram his support and wrote: 'I just watched Ellen Page come out! Wow! What a speech! Congrats!!'
Emile Hirsh tweeted: "'Props to @EllenPage for helping so many people through their daily struggles by courageously leading by example and coming out on V Day!"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate