Ellen Page on Human Rights Campaign: 'I’m here today because I am gay'
By Riza Ornos | February 20, 2014 7:50 PM EST
After telling the world that she is gay, Ellen page is back in Los Angeles dressed casually in a striped shirt, blue skinny jeans, brown boots and black jacket. The "Inception" actress announced her shocking news during the HRC's Time to Thrive conference in Las Vegas.
The 26-year-old star came out on Friday, Feb. 14, and she has been inundated with support for standing up for herself and for the rest of LGBTQ youth. Known for her activism, Page identifies herself as a pro-choice feminist and was "sick of lying by omission."
The actress hopes that her coming out would help other struggling with sexuality and encouraged other to live authentically. She said: "I'm here today because I am gay. And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."
According to Hollywood Reporter, the "Juno" actress also said: "It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us."
"Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me. You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard," she concluded.
The actress also cited other prominent personalities who are braved enough to come out including "Orange is the New Black" actress Laverne Cox and Football player Michael Sam. Page was reportedly linked to "True blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard when the two was spotted cuddling in a San Francisco park. She was also rumored to be dating "Into the Wild" actor Emile Hirsch.
After her announcement, Page was flooded with countless support for her brave move. Lance Bass Instgram his support and wrote: 'I just watched Ellen Page come out! Wow! What a speech! Congrats!!'
Emile Hirsh tweeted: "'Props to @EllenPage for helping so many people through their daily struggles by courageously leading by example and coming out on V Day!"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga