'Star-Crossed' 'Pilot' Recap: What Happened on the New CW Show about Aliens and Humans Starring Aimee Teegarden and Matt Lanter? [WATCH VIDEOS]
By Janice Somosot | February 20, 2014 7:44 PM EST
"Star-Crossed," the new CW Television (TV) Network's science fiction (sci-fi) romance TV series about aliens and humans recently premiered on Monday, Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:00 p.m. It stars Aimee Teegarden ("Friday Night Lights") as Emery Whitehill, a human girl who met an Atrian (alien race) boy named Roman who is played by Matt Lanter ("90210").
According to Wikipedia, "Star-Crossed" is a phrase coined from the prologue of William Shakespeare's well-known tragedy "Romeo and Juliet."
"From forth the fatal loins of these two foes,
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life" (5-6) read the lines from the prologue of "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare.
It is often used to describe a couple whose relationship is doomed because forces beyond their control seem to keep them apart no matter how hard they try to be together. It originally meant "thwarted by a malign star."
This is an apt title for this sci-fi romance TV show because it describes Emery and Roman's relationship. At first glance, it is reminiscent of a previous sci-fi romance TV show that ran from 1999-2002 called "Roswell" starring Shiri Appleby, Jason Behr ("Dawson's Creek"), Brendan Fehr ("Nikita,"), Majandra Delfino, Emilie de Ravin, ("Lost"), Nick Wechsler ("Revenge"), Colin Hanks ("Dexter") and a young Katherine Heigl ("Grey's Anatomy").
The difference is that in "Star-Crossed," the humans are aware of the presence of the aliens, whereas in "Roswell," the aliens live in secret and went to great lengths to keep it that way.
In the "Star-Crossed" "Pilot" episode, the aliens or Atrians supposedly landed on May 16, 2014. Roman and Emery meet as kids. Unfortunately, the Atrians were hunted down and captured by the humans and put in secluded camps.Ten years later, seven Atrians including Roman, were chosen to go back into human society and integrate themselves in high school. Emery and Roman meet again as teenagers and sparks fly. Roman remembers Emery as the girl who was unusually kind to him, even when the other humans were being cruel.
"Star-Crossed" is set in the future and it shows a lot of cool, high tech devices that the people and the Atrians use, such as digital vending machines that talk and cell phones that are cooler than the iPhone.
The Atrians look like humans with some tattoos on their faces. Lanter was interviewed by Sheknows.com and he said that the tattoos are actually birthmarks and they have unique patterns. He also revealed that the Atrians can breathe through their skin, have two hearts and lungs and are allergic to a lot of things on earth. They also age faster than humans.
Check out a video of Aimee Teegarden talking about her new TV series "Star-Crossed":
"Star-Crossed" also stars Malese Jow ("The Vampire Diaries") as Julia, Grey Damon ("The Secret Circle") as Grayson, Chelsea Gilligan as Teri, Greg Finley as Drake and Brina Palencia as Sophia. Guest stars in the "Pilot" episode which was directed by Gary Fleder ("Kiss the Girls" and "Runaway Jury") include Johnathon Schaech ("The Client List"), Deena Dill and Tahmoh Penikett. Watch "Star-Crossed" on Monday nights (8:00 p.m. EST) at The CW.
Check out the "Star-Crossed" Producer's preview below:
'Star-Crossed': The New CW Sci-Fi Romance TV Series About Aliens and Humans Premieres on Feb. 17, 2014 [WATCH VIDEOS] (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown