$425 Million Powerball Jackpot: Ticket Sold in California Matches Winning Numbers
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 20, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Powerball lottery officials have said that one ticket, sold in California, has matched with all the winning numbers, making the ticket holder eligible to receive a $425 Million Powerball jackpot.
Store owner Jean Shin places a sign with the updated jackpot at the Town & Country news stand in Los Angeles, California March 30, 2012.
The lucky numbers forming the winning combination for Wednesday night's lottery draw were 1, 17, 35, 49, 54 and a Powerball of 34. California lottery officials have said that the winning ticket was sold at the Dixon Landing Chevron gas station, in Milpitas, which is located about 10 miles north of Sand Jose, in Santa Clara County.
The odds of winning the monstrous amount were 1 in about 175 million.
Another dozen ticket holders including an individual from New York, won $1 million as their tickets matched with five of the six numbers.
The gas station from where the ticket was bought, will get a $1 million bonus simply for selling the winning ticket, California lottery officials said according to CBS.
Although the drawing was followed by a several other consecutive drawings, none produced top winner. The jackpot was thus, boosted to an estimated $425.3 million, with a cash payout option of $242.2 million. The amount is far from the record, but is still one of the largest in US history.
In March 2012 three ticket-holders from Illinois, Kansas and Maryland shared the largest jackpot in US history of $656 million.
The popular Powerball lottery is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the US Virgin islands.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal