$425 Million Powerball Jackpot: Ticket Sold in California Matches Winning Numbers
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 20, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Powerball lottery officials have said that one ticket, sold in California, has matched with all the winning numbers, making the ticket holder eligible to receive a $425 Million Powerball jackpot.
Store owner Jean Shin places a sign with the updated jackpot at the Town & Country news stand in Los Angeles, California March 30, 2012.
The lucky numbers forming the winning combination for Wednesday night's lottery draw were 1, 17, 35, 49, 54 and a Powerball of 34. California lottery officials have said that the winning ticket was sold at the Dixon Landing Chevron gas station, in Milpitas, which is located about 10 miles north of Sand Jose, in Santa Clara County.
The odds of winning the monstrous amount were 1 in about 175 million.
Another dozen ticket holders including an individual from New York, won $1 million as their tickets matched with five of the six numbers.
The gas station from where the ticket was bought, will get a $1 million bonus simply for selling the winning ticket, California lottery officials said according to CBS.
Although the drawing was followed by a several other consecutive drawings, none produced top winner. The jackpot was thus, boosted to an estimated $425.3 million, with a cash payout option of $242.2 million. The amount is far from the record, but is still one of the largest in US history.
In March 2012 three ticket-holders from Illinois, Kansas and Maryland shared the largest jackpot in US history of $656 million.
The popular Powerball lottery is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the US Virgin islands.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks