$425 Million Powerball Jackpot: Ticket Sold in California Matches Winning Numbers
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 20, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Powerball lottery officials have said that one ticket, sold in California, has matched with all the winning numbers, making the ticket holder eligible to receive a $425 Million Powerball jackpot.
Store owner Jean Shin places a sign with the updated jackpot at the Town & Country news stand in Los Angeles, California March 30, 2012.
The lucky numbers forming the winning combination for Wednesday night's lottery draw were 1, 17, 35, 49, 54 and a Powerball of 34. California lottery officials have said that the winning ticket was sold at the Dixon Landing Chevron gas station, in Milpitas, which is located about 10 miles north of Sand Jose, in Santa Clara County.
The odds of winning the monstrous amount were 1 in about 175 million.
Another dozen ticket holders including an individual from New York, won $1 million as their tickets matched with five of the six numbers.
The gas station from where the ticket was bought, will get a $1 million bonus simply for selling the winning ticket, California lottery officials said according to CBS.
Although the drawing was followed by a several other consecutive drawings, none produced top winner. The jackpot was thus, boosted to an estimated $425.3 million, with a cash payout option of $242.2 million. The amount is far from the record, but is still one of the largest in US history.
In March 2012 three ticket-holders from Illinois, Kansas and Maryland shared the largest jackpot in US history of $656 million.
The popular Powerball lottery is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the US Virgin islands.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists