2,300-Year-Old Town Uncovered in Israel
By Parismita Goswami | February 20, 2014 7:10 PM EST
The remains of 2,300-year-ago ancient rural town have been recently uncovered by archaeologists in Israel. The ancient 8,000 square foot small village located on the outskirts of Jerusalem, revealed few single family stone houses with narrow passages. The town was discovered while probing a site for construction of gas pipeline, which was supposed to pass by the region.
"The rooms generally served as residential and storage rooms, while domestic tasks were carried out in the courtyards," LifeScience quoted Irina Zilberbod, excavation director for the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA).
The town was populated for two centuries during the Second Temple (538 B.C. to A.D. 70) period. Archeologists assume that the town's inhabitants cultivated vineyards and orchards for a living and eventually abandoned the town for better opportunities in the city.
Some tools discovered from the ancient town were limestone, basalt milling and grinding tools used for domestic purposes, wine and oil storage jars and more than 60 coins, including those from the reigns of Hasmonean King Alexander Jannaeus and Seleucid King Antiochus III.
"The phenomenon of villages and farms being abandoned at the end of the Hasmonean dynasty or the beginning of Herod the Great's succeeding rule is one that we are familiar with from many rural sites in Judea. And it may be related to Herod's massive building projects in Jerusalem, particularly the construction of the Temple Mount, and the mass migration of villagers to the capital to work on these projects", explained Yuval Baruch Jerusalem regional archaeologist.
Archeologists have no clue as to what the ancient people would have called the village, but the village sits near the well known Burma Road, a supply route into Jerusalem during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
The proposed plan for gas pipeline construction has been revised in order to make the ancient town open for public visit, according to IAA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles