2,300-Year-Old Town Uncovered in Israel
By Parismita Goswami | February 20, 2014 7:10 PM EST
The remains of 2,300-year-ago ancient rural town have been recently uncovered by archaeologists in Israel. The ancient 8,000 square foot small village located on the outskirts of Jerusalem, revealed few single family stone houses with narrow passages. The town was discovered while probing a site for construction of gas pipeline, which was supposed to pass by the region.
"The rooms generally served as residential and storage rooms, while domestic tasks were carried out in the courtyards," LifeScience quoted Irina Zilberbod, excavation director for the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA).
The town was populated for two centuries during the Second Temple (538 B.C. to A.D. 70) period. Archeologists assume that the town's inhabitants cultivated vineyards and orchards for a living and eventually abandoned the town for better opportunities in the city.
Some tools discovered from the ancient town were limestone, basalt milling and grinding tools used for domestic purposes, wine and oil storage jars and more than 60 coins, including those from the reigns of Hasmonean King Alexander Jannaeus and Seleucid King Antiochus III.
"The phenomenon of villages and farms being abandoned at the end of the Hasmonean dynasty or the beginning of Herod the Great's succeeding rule is one that we are familiar with from many rural sites in Judea. And it may be related to Herod's massive building projects in Jerusalem, particularly the construction of the Temple Mount, and the mass migration of villagers to the capital to work on these projects", explained Yuval Baruch Jerusalem regional archaeologist.
Archeologists have no clue as to what the ancient people would have called the village, but the village sits near the well known Burma Road, a supply route into Jerusalem during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
The proposed plan for gas pipeline construction has been revised in order to make the ancient town open for public visit, according to IAA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU