Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/20/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 20, 2014 6:56 PM EST
The Australian share market ignored a weak finish on Wall Street and disappointing Chinese economic data to make it five wins in a row today.
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) added 5.8 points or 0.1 per cent by close to 5421 points.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
The market did come off earlier highs after Chinese manufacturing data (Flash PMI) came in lower than expected. The reading came in at a level of 48.3 in February versus expectations of 49.5, although the timing of Lunar New Year is likely to have played a factor.
In company news, Fairfax (FXJ) shares shot up 23 per cent to 88c, their highest level in two years after the media group reported a lift in underlying first half earnings to $93.1 million and doubled its interim dividend to 2c per share.
Wealth management and protection company AMP Limited (AMP) reported a better than expected 2.5% fall in full year profit to $672 million, as weakness from its wealth protection business offset strength in the wealth management arm. Shareholders will receive an 11.5c per share final dividend. AMP shares rose 9.3 per cent to $4.92, their biggest jump in five years.
Construction giant Leighton Holdings (LEI) posted a stronger than expected full year profit of $509 million, while underlying profit rose 30 per cent to $584 million. A 60 cent per share dividend will be paid on the 4th April. LEI rose 4.9 per cent today to $17.21.
In economic news, average weekly ordinary time earnings rose by 1.1 per cent in the six months to November 2013 to be just 2.9 per cent higher than a year ago. Private sector wages rose by 3.0 per cent over the year. Public sector wages rose by 3.2 per cent over the year.
On the market overall, a total of 2.2 billion shares changed hands, worth $6.4 billion. 473 were up, 492 were down and 338 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures was at 5381, up four points.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet