Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/20/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 20, 2014 6:56 PM EST
The Australian share market ignored a weak finish on Wall Street and disappointing Chinese economic data to make it five wins in a row today.
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) added 5.8 points or 0.1 per cent by close to 5421 points.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
The market did come off earlier highs after Chinese manufacturing data (Flash PMI) came in lower than expected. The reading came in at a level of 48.3 in February versus expectations of 49.5, although the timing of Lunar New Year is likely to have played a factor.
In company news, Fairfax (FXJ) shares shot up 23 per cent to 88c, their highest level in two years after the media group reported a lift in underlying first half earnings to $93.1 million and doubled its interim dividend to 2c per share.
Wealth management and protection company AMP Limited (AMP) reported a better than expected 2.5% fall in full year profit to $672 million, as weakness from its wealth protection business offset strength in the wealth management arm. Shareholders will receive an 11.5c per share final dividend. AMP shares rose 9.3 per cent to $4.92, their biggest jump in five years.
Construction giant Leighton Holdings (LEI) posted a stronger than expected full year profit of $509 million, while underlying profit rose 30 per cent to $584 million. A 60 cent per share dividend will be paid on the 4th April. LEI rose 4.9 per cent today to $17.21.
In economic news, average weekly ordinary time earnings rose by 1.1 per cent in the six months to November 2013 to be just 2.9 per cent higher than a year ago. Private sector wages rose by 3.0 per cent over the year. Public sector wages rose by 3.2 per cent over the year.
On the market overall, a total of 2.2 billion shares changed hands, worth $6.4 billion. 473 were up, 492 were down and 338 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures was at 5381, up four points.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Month After Ukraine Plane Crash, Malaysia Airlines Doubles Commission of Australian Travel Agents to 11% to Boost Seat Sales
- Australia Could Become an Oil Giant After Apache Discovery of Field With Potential of 300 Million Barrels of Black Gold
- European Telcos in Buy-out Mode for American Firms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
- Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff